Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: I havent had my period this month - am I pregnant?

juliet - Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:40 am

Hello Doctor,
i am 24 years old a married women. my marriage on 7 th january 2007. my lmp march was 16th. april till the day no period. before my marriage my all periods was very accurate. all periods time i feel back pain and brest pain. april there is no period till the day. i feel back pain & brest pain also. i took fever on 10th april. and take pills for fever. i take a home pregnancy test on 27th april that was negative. but no period till the day. am i pregnant? or not? please help me.
thanks doctor.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:49 pm

User avatar At this point, if you are pregnant a home pregnancy test should be accurate. Based on your last period, it has been 6 1/2 weeks since your period. Generally by 5 weeks, home pregnancy tests are around 99% accurate.

Several factors can result in a false negative, including very dilute urine, testing too early (i.e. before 4-5 weeks), and incorrectly performing the test.

I would recommend you repeat the pregnancy test now using the first morning void. If this is negative it is likely to be a true result.

There are several things that can alter a normal period including stress (good stress as well as bad stress) and illnesses.

If your pregnancy test is negative and you do not have your period by 8 weeks I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes and congratulations on your recent marraige.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us