Question: Hysterectomy?

Bren Pow - Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:19 pm

After 15 years of extreme pain and irregular/heavy periods I am scheduled next week for a vaginal hysterectomy. I am ready because the pain is coming more often and is unbearable. January of 2003 I had a laporoscopy along with ablation and nerve severeing behing my uterus done. The laproscopy biopsy confirmed endometriosis on ovaries and uterine wall. 3 weeks after surgery I suffered another bout of sudden intense pain, that renders me unable to move or function for 3 hours then slowly fades away but lingers for about a week. It interferes with bladder and bowel. Years before i was also diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. So i also am consistently dealing with cysts that burst. also extremely painful. when i would have a cycle, about every 6-12 months it would either be 3 days long or 30 days long. My moods are also affected, to the point of depression. My family history is full with breast cancer and other cancers. Breast cancer very rampant, including my mother and her twin sister. My physician believes that hysterectomy is my only option at this point. we've tried meds and other options. I believe also, quess i was just looking for opinion from someone else knowledgable on the subject.
 Rhoda - Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:09 pm

In 2000 I was 43 and was still experiencing heavy periods with strong cramps. I also was getting two periods a month that would last a week each time. I would bleed during intercourse even when I wasn't on my period. My doctor recommended a partial hystrectomy through the belly button. The surgery went great and I felt no pain afterwards.

Although, in 2001 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Breast cancer runs in my family as well - my mother, aunt and cousin. I'm glad I opted for the hystrectomy. Also, on a good note, sex has been better. No more pain or bleeding.

Tell yourself every day you are young, strong and healthy! At any age!

Enjoy life, eat healthy and exercise and by all means get rid of all negative stress in your life now! It makes a huge difference.

Rhoda
 MelindaCast - Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:54 am

I'm terribly sorry about your situation. I hope it gets better. I will pray for you.
I had a vaginal hysterectomy 2 years ago when I was 25. I'm very happy with my results. I used to have bad abdominal pain almost all of the time. Once I healed from the surgery, I had no more abdominal pain. Sex used to be much more painful. I felt it throughout my stomach and body. Now my only pain is the scar stretches during I think. It still hurts a little during, but much less.