Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Pregnancy Symptoms and Nuvaring

jules2653 - Wed May 09, 2007 9:19 am

I am a 26 yr old female. I had a c-section 18 months ago. My daughter was a big baby and she was my first child. I am on adderall, albuterol, and I was on the nuvaring. For 4 months on the ring, I didn't have any side effects. In the fifth month of use, a week before my period, my breasts started throbbing. Then I noticed that I have been urinating more frequently, have severe cramps, and mood swings. When I got my period, it was only spotting and was brown and the cramps were severe. I didn't put the ring back in to rule out side effects. I went to my doctor and she said" I can tell you it's the ring." Then she suggested the mirena. I have take home pregnancy tests that were negative. My concern is that she didn't even have me take a blood test just to be on the safe side. Around four months of use, I was having side effects and she said that it wasn't the ring. Should I ask for a test?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 09, 2007 2:04 pm

User avatar I'm sorry, I don't know what kind of test you are referring to. Do you mean a blood test to check for pregnancy? The urine is just as accurate, just not reliable as early as the blood test so 5 weeks after your last period a urine pregnancy test should be correct. Let us know if we aren't understanding your question.
 jules2653 - Wed May 09, 2007 2:49 pm

I'm sorry. I mean't should I request a blood test? I haven't take a recent urine test in the last week and a half. It has been 3.5 weeks since the strange spotting.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us