Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Missing Period over 1 year

CherryCoke - Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:17 am

Like the subject says, I have not had a period in almost exactly a year. I am an 18 year old female and have never been sexually active, and therefore not using any form of contraception either. Nor am I on any medication.
I was a late developer and got my period at around the age of 16 and it became regular pretty quick. SInce the end of May last year though I haven't had a period. I still have a normal discharge. I have been to my GP about it and I was given a blood test which showed that there were no hormonal problems, thyroid problems or polycystic ovaries.
At first I thought it could be due to stress, as I had just finished some important exams, but to be truthful I never FELT particularly stressed out about them, and I would have expected my period to have restarted by now.
My GP worked out my BMI and said it was underaverage, I know this could be a cause.
However she would like to refer me to the hospital for an ultrasound. I can go for a referal when I wish.
What I would like to know is what will be looked for in the ultrasound, and if nothing is revelaled what a course of action would be. Although my BMI is underaverage I cannot see how to improve it, as I already eat plenty (and I have never had an eating disorder) but I always remain thin.
Sorry for the long post!
 Marceline F, RN - Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:09 am

User avatar Dear CherryCoke,
I understand you have had a good workup from your GP. I would suggest you ask your primary for a referral to an OBGYN for an advanced workup. Women's health issues require specialized care.and knowledge that may often be outside the routine base of knowledge of a general practitioner.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us