Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Pain during sex (dyspareunia)

scarletdohara - Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:26 pm

I am sure I have at the very least endemetriosis I have gotten to the point where my husband and i cannot have intercourse I need a doctor to see me and let me pay what I can and when I can but do surgery if I need it now I am willing to travel if I need to do you know anyone that will help me or somewhere to start looking.
Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:22 pm

User avatar Dear scarletdohara,

I am sorry to hear about your condition. There are many causes for pain during sex (dyspareunia). A list of causes follows:

Tipped or retroverted uterus - Some women with a tipped uterus experience pain during intercourse. This happens when the penis hits the cervix or uterus during sex.

Endometriosis – The tissue lining the uterus – the endometrium - may grow outside the uterus causing deep pain during sex.

Infection – Bacterial or yeast infections are among the most common causes of pain during intercourse.

Lack of estrogen – During menopause, the vaginal walls thin and the amount of vaginal lubrication decreases.

Vulvodynia – In this condition, the vulva is hypersensitive and extremely tender on touch.

Drug side effects – Common drugs including those for allergy, high blood pressure or depression may affect the amount of vaginal lubrication, as well as the level of sexual arousal and desire.

Physical problems – Scar tissue from abdominal or pelvic surgery can distort the anatomy and cause significant pain during intercourse. A cyst on an ovary can also cause pain.

Pelvic floor myalgia – Pelvic floor muscle spasms are involuntary muscle spasms and can result in difficult and uncomfortable sex.

Emotional issues – Sometimes, past issues such as sexual abuse or communication problems in a relationship can translate into sexual difficulties.

I would like to ask a few questions regarding your history: Was the cause of your recurrent miscarriages revealed to you? Why was a tubal ligation performed? Why do you suspect that you may have endometriosis?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us