Question: Pain during sex (dyspareunia)

scarletdohara - Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:26 pm

I am sure I have at the very least endemetriosis I have gotten to the point where my husband and i cannot have intercourse I need a doctor to see me and let me pay what I can and when I can but do surgery if I need it now I am willing to travel if I need to do you know anyone that will help me or somewhere to start looking.
Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:22 pm

User avatar Dear scarletdohara,

I am sorry to hear about your condition. There are many causes for pain during sex (dyspareunia). A list of causes follows:

Tipped or retroverted uterus - Some women with a tipped uterus experience pain during intercourse. This happens when the penis hits the cervix or uterus during sex.

Endometriosis – The tissue lining the uterus – the endometrium - may grow outside the uterus causing deep pain during sex.

Infection – Bacterial or yeast infections are among the most common causes of pain during intercourse.

Lack of estrogen – During menopause, the vaginal walls thin and the amount of vaginal lubrication decreases.

Vulvodynia – In this condition, the vulva is hypersensitive and extremely tender on touch.

Drug side effects – Common drugs including those for allergy, high blood pressure or depression may affect the amount of vaginal lubrication, as well as the level of sexual arousal and desire.

Physical problems – Scar tissue from abdominal or pelvic surgery can distort the anatomy and cause significant pain during intercourse. A cyst on an ovary can also cause pain.

Pelvic floor myalgia – Pelvic floor muscle spasms are involuntary muscle spasms and can result in difficult and uncomfortable sex.

Emotional issues – Sometimes, past issues such as sexual abuse or communication problems in a relationship can translate into sexual difficulties.

I would like to ask a few questions regarding your history: Was the cause of your recurrent miscarriages revealed to you? Why was a tubal ligation performed? Why do you suspect that you may have endometriosis?