Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Ovarian Cyst

 Ulaliya - Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:42 am


I'm 23 years old and was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst (right ovary) in May. My mom is an ultrasound Tech and she did an ultrasound on me a few weeks later. The Cyst was 3 cm by 3.5 cm by 4 cm. It is now the beginning of august and I am pretty sure the cyst has not gone away (I can feel a lump when I press down internally--I copied what my gynecologist did when she found it, and could feel it myself when comparing both sides). I was told that ovarian cysts are very common in women my age and that they usually go away in a few months on their own--Mine is still there. Should I be worried? Will it need to be removed? If so, how much will it cost (I'm a poor college student with no insurance)? I'm already on birth control pills, and they do not seem to have helped. It hasn't caused me any pain (aside from some mild cramping and one or two sharp pains about a week before my period). Other than that, it really hasn't been bothering me aside from my own worrying about the fact that it is still there...
 Ulaliya - Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:50 pm

Still keeping the faith--Any suggestions? Thanks again...
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:35 am

User avatar Hi Ulaliya,
Most ovarian cysts are normal for young women of your age. What's important for you right now is followup. You mentioned that the last time you had an ultrasound was in May. If your new ultrasound shows that the cyst has increased in size then you should refer to your gynecologist and maybe try a alternative treatment option. This may include an alternative bcp or surgery if indictated. Please check our ovarian cysts page for more info.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us