Question: Ovarian Cyst

Ulaliya - Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:42 am

Hello!

I'm 23 years old and was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst (right ovary) in May. My mom is an ultrasound Tech and she did an ultrasound on me a few weeks later. The Cyst was 3 cm by 3.5 cm by 4 cm. It is now the beginning of august and I am pretty sure the cyst has not gone away (I can feel a lump when I press down internally--I copied what my gynecologist did when she found it, and could feel it myself when comparing both sides). I was told that ovarian cysts are very common in women my age and that they usually go away in a few months on their own--Mine is still there. Should I be worried? Will it need to be removed? If so, how much will it cost (I'm a poor college student with no insurance)? I'm already on birth control pills, and they do not seem to have helped. It hasn't caused me any pain (aside from some mild cramping and one or two sharp pains about a week before my period). Other than that, it really hasn't been bothering me aside from my own worrying about the fact that it is still there...
 Ulaliya - Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:50 pm

Still keeping the faith--Any suggestions? Thanks again...
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:35 am

User avatar Hi Ulaliya,
Most ovarian cysts are normal for young women of your age. What's important for you right now is followup. You mentioned that the last time you had an ultrasound was in May. If your new ultrasound shows that the cyst has increased in size then you should refer to your gynecologist and maybe try a alternative treatment option. This may include an alternative bcp or surgery if indictated. Please check our ovarian cysts page for more info.

Regards,