Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Texture and feeling of normal vagina / vulva

 whyohwhy4 - Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:36 pm

Hello! Im an 18 y/o female, who hasnt had sex in over a year. but i have what look like pimples on my vulva. they don't itch (except when i had a yeast infection). i am worried that it may be some kind of STD (even though ive only had sex twice, both times with condoms). but they appear as pimples, similar to those that occur on my face. is this normal? it seems logical that it could be, seeing as the area is constantly aggitated (horseback riding, and masturbation). any insight you could give me about normal texture/feeling of the vulva/vagina. thanks so much.

 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:20 pm

User avatar Good chance these are simple blogged sebaceous (oil) glands, but they could also be cysts, abscesses or ingrown hairs. For relief you can try warm compresses. Get wash cloth wet with warm water, squeeze excess and gently place on affected area. Do this several times a day. Do not squeeze, for risk of infection. If you develop signs of infection, call your doctor and be sure the office stand understands you may have an infection so they won't try to give you a date 3 weeks later

I too, feel confident it is probably not something serious such as an STD. But if it gets worse, spreads, itches, burns, or never goes away, you should probably see your health care provider anyway to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment if indicated.

Good luck

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us