Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology


 Sara - Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:30 am

:oops: can anyone help me? am sufferin from deep pain during and after sex even thou aroused, caanot be an STD as my partner and i have only slept with each other, CANNOT go to g.p as is a family friend :oops:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:21 am

User avatar Hello Sara,
There are many causes for pain during intercourse. These include:

Tipped or retroverted uterus - Some women with a tipped uterus experience pain during intercourse. This happens when the penis hits the cervix or uterus during sex.

Endometriosis – The tissue lining the uterus – the endometrium - may grow outside the uterus causing deep pain during sex.

Infection – Bacterial or yeast infections are among the most common causes of pain during intercourse.

Vulvodynia – In this condition, the vulva is hypersensitive and extremely tender on touch.

Drug side effects – Common drugs including those for allergy, high blood pressure or depression may affect the amount of vaginal lubrication, as well as the level of sexual arousal and desire.

A cyst on an ovary can also cause pain.

Pelvic floor myalgia – Pelvic floor muscle spasms are involuntary muscle spasms and can result in difficult and uncomfortable sex.

Emotional issues – Sometimes, past issues such as sexual abuse or communication problems in a relationship can translate into sexual difficulties.

As you can see these are causes that need to be excluded by a doctor. I would advise you to go to a gynecologist.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us