Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: EMBARASSED

Sara - Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:30 am

:oops: can anyone help me? am sufferin from deep pain during and after sex even thou aroused, caanot be an STD as my partner and i have only slept with each other, CANNOT go to g.p as is a family friend :oops:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:21 am

User avatar Hello Sara,
There are many causes for pain during intercourse. These include:

Tipped or retroverted uterus - Some women with a tipped uterus experience pain during intercourse. This happens when the penis hits the cervix or uterus during sex.

Endometriosis – The tissue lining the uterus – the endometrium - may grow outside the uterus causing deep pain during sex.

Infection – Bacterial or yeast infections are among the most common causes of pain during intercourse.

Vulvodynia – In this condition, the vulva is hypersensitive and extremely tender on touch.

Drug side effects – Common drugs including those for allergy, high blood pressure or depression may affect the amount of vaginal lubrication, as well as the level of sexual arousal and desire.

A cyst on an ovary can also cause pain.

Pelvic floor myalgia – Pelvic floor muscle spasms are involuntary muscle spasms and can result in difficult and uncomfortable sex.

Emotional issues – Sometimes, past issues such as sexual abuse or communication problems in a relationship can translate into sexual difficulties.

As you can see these are causes that need to be excluded by a doctor. I would advise you to go to a gynecologist.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us