Question: breastfeeding

sarahw - Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:40 pm

I am trying to find out the best way to dry up my breastmilk. I have a 15 month old who refuses to quit nursing. It doesn't matter what I have tried, she knows that my breasts are there and that she wants her milk. I am at a loss, and I thought if I could dry my milk up than she would have no choice but to quit nursing. Please help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:03 am

User avatar Hi sarahw,
Stopping lactation is not going to be solution. Most young babies will make the transition from breast to bottle with a little encouragement, but for some it takes more effort. If your baby wants to continue to breastfeed, you might want to rethink why you want to wean at this time.

Sometimes, a mum makes the assumption she is going to wean at around eight or nine months but when the time arrives, realises there is no good reason for weaning and continues to breastfeed. If you really want or need to wean — for example, if you are going back to work — then start by substituting formula (for a baby under a year) or whole milk (if the baby is over a year as in your case) for one breastfeed each day. Once you feel ready you can drop another breastfeed and so on. Since your baby is over six months, health visitors recommend you offer her a beaker, rather than a bottle. Try one with a soft, flexible spout to begin with.

With an older, verbal toddler, start by putting limits on where and when you breastfeed by tell your child. When you are at the point when you want to stop entirely, you simply tell him/her.