Question: On pill for 3 years -- now I got my period in the middle of

lolabelle - Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:56 am

I've been using Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for three years now with no side-effects -- basically, my use and experience has been perfect.

Now, however, I've gotten my period in the middle of my pill cycle. I got my regular period at the right time on August 1 and finished about 4-5 days later. Now yesterday, August 19, I got it again -- at first I thought it might be breakthrough bleeding, but it's full-on!

Should I stop my current pack of pills and start on Day 1 with a new pack the day my period is over? Should I continue taking the pills (which I am doing now)?

As a sidenote: I had foot surgery last week, on August 15, and had epidural anesthetic and took a few anti-inflammatory drugs to regulate the swelling of my foot. Could that have had an effect?

I appreciate your help in advance as I am in a country other than where my gyn is so I can't really ask her any questions...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:20 pm

User avatar I would not expect this kind of side effect from either the surgery/anesthesia or the medications. Also, since you have been on these for quite a while without problems, it doesn't seem likely it is normal fluctuation that occurs as your body adjusts to the hormones. For these reasons, I would call your health care provider because it would be best to find out if there is a reason for this. I would not consider it an emergency and you could see what happens next month first if you like.

lolabelle - Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:48 am

Thank you so much! I finally got through to my gyn's nurse and she said the same thing -- to wait until the end of this pill cycle and then we'll run some tests. Thank you again!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:20 pm

User avatar You're welcome.