Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: On pill for 3 years -- now I got my period in the middle of

lolabelle - Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:56 am

I've been using Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for three years now with no side-effects -- basically, my use and experience has been perfect.

Now, however, I've gotten my period in the middle of my pill cycle. I got my regular period at the right time on August 1 and finished about 4-5 days later. Now yesterday, August 19, I got it again -- at first I thought it might be breakthrough bleeding, but it's full-on!

Should I stop my current pack of pills and start on Day 1 with a new pack the day my period is over? Should I continue taking the pills (which I am doing now)?

As a sidenote: I had foot surgery last week, on August 15, and had epidural anesthetic and took a few anti-inflammatory drugs to regulate the swelling of my foot. Could that have had an effect?

I appreciate your help in advance as I am in a country other than where my gyn is so I can't really ask her any questions...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:20 pm

User avatar I would not expect this kind of side effect from either the surgery/anesthesia or the medications. Also, since you have been on these for quite a while without problems, it doesn't seem likely it is normal fluctuation that occurs as your body adjusts to the hormones. For these reasons, I would call your health care provider because it would be best to find out if there is a reason for this. I would not consider it an emergency and you could see what happens next month first if you like.

Best wishes.
 lolabelle - Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:48 am

Thank you so much! I finally got through to my gyn's nurse and she said the same thing -- to wait until the end of this pill cycle and then we'll run some tests. Thank you again!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:20 pm

User avatar You're welcome.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us