Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Aprrox. 5 weeks preg. Hurting badly.

 nescrew - Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:15 am

I am 18, I recently found out I was pregnant, I haven't been to a doctor or anything because I cannot afford it.

I have a few questions...I have been having really bad period like cramps. I understand this is normal, but sometimes out of no where it feels like I have been stabbed and I stay hunched over for a bit because of it. It's where I am guessing the baby would be.

Also I have been really short of breath. I was putting some water bottles in the fridge earlier today and I lost my breath, I couldn't breath. Then I finally gasped for it and felt like crying. Is this normal...It scares me sometimes. For the past few weeks I have been real short of breath, my boyfriend always asks me why I am breathing so hard, and I feel embarrassed for some reason. I don't know why, I don't do anything strenuous...
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:37 pm

User avatar Hi Nescrew,

Your pain sounds much more severe than typical. I would strongly recommend that you see a doctor. There are often clinics in town that can provide free or reduced fee prenatal care. Your local health department can point you to them.

If you have an attack of pain or severe shortness of breath that does not rapidly resolve you should be seen in the emergency room.

There can potentially be some serious things going on (not to panic you) so I must again strongly recommend that you see your doctor to make sure everything is OK.

Best wishes.
 nescrew - Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:45 am

Okay, I will...

Thank you for your advice.

How would I go about finding free or reduced priced clinics. I don't even have a phone and I don't know what to do.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:04 pm

User avatar Depending on your area you may be able to stop in to the local health department. They may be able to direct you. Another option may be to ask the local emergency room staff.

You may also be able to find this information on the internet. Try searching for free clinics in your area or "notch group" clinics. The notch group is the group of people that don't qualify/can't afford health care through their jobs, etc. but also don't qualify for state funded insurance.

Again, if you begin experiencing extreme pain you need to go to the emergency room. Insurance/funding issues can be dealt with after they are sure you are going to be OK.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us