Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: might i have pelvic inflammatory disease

 tulip18 - Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:55 am

I have had aching in my lower abdomen and its been like that for a week now... a month ago i had what i thought was a yeast infection and it went away but after my boyfriend and i could not engage in intercourse because it was too painful and still is.... i went to a doctor and had a pelvic exam and ultrasound would these show if i had pid....
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:25 am

User avatar Dear Tulip18,

Pelvic inflammatory disease has other symptoms than pain during intercourse and abdominal pain, but these symptoms might be indicative of its presence.

A pelvic examination and an ultrasound should suffice to diagnose it or rule out its presence.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us