Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Pregnant while on birth control

Princes1849 - Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:08 pm

I am a 26 year old female and have been taking birthcontrol for about a year and a half. On Monday I found out i was pregnant. How is that possible?? I have been taking my pill faithfully every morning. Could it be that the pill wasnt strong enough for me?? I was on antibiotics for a few weeks due to a couple of different things. First it was a UTI, then an abcessed tooth, then a staph infection. I just don't understand.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:00 pm

User avatar There is no 100% reliable birth control except abstinence, followed by sterilization (although there are some failures with that as well). If a contraceptive has a failure rate of 1% (like the pill) that means one woman in a hundred using this method will become pregnant.

Also, antibiotics have been shown to decrease the effectiveness of oral contraceptives so it is advised that you use a second method while on the antibiotics if you want to decrease your risk of pregnancy due to this interaction.

I hope you are coming to terms with the pregnancy and I wish you well.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us