Question: Pregnant while on birth control

Princes1849 - Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:08 pm

I am a 26 year old female and have been taking birthcontrol for about a year and a half. On Monday I found out i was pregnant. How is that possible?? I have been taking my pill faithfully every morning. Could it be that the pill wasnt strong enough for me?? I was on antibiotics for a few weeks due to a couple of different things. First it was a UTI, then an abcessed tooth, then a staph infection. I just don't understand.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:00 pm

User avatar There is no 100% reliable birth control except abstinence, followed by sterilization (although there are some failures with that as well). If a contraceptive has a failure rate of 1% (like the pill) that means one woman in a hundred using this method will become pregnant.

Also, antibiotics have been shown to decrease the effectiveness of oral contraceptives so it is advised that you use a second method while on the antibiotics if you want to decrease your risk of pregnancy due to this interaction.

I hope you are coming to terms with the pregnancy and I wish you well.