Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Nipple discharge for 10 yrs & smell during my period.

 Barb - Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:24 pm

I am 39 year old female. I have been having a discharge from my left nipple for at least 10 years. And in the last few years my right nipple has started. It is yellow, green and sometimes bloody. My breast are sometimes so very sore it hurts to put on a bra. I have been told many things. First i was told that i had an infection. I was given so many antibiotics that I got a yeast infection in my mouth. And it didn't help to boot. I was then told not to squeeze my nipples. that helped alot too. My grandmother on my mothers side died of breast cancer both my mother and her sister have had lumps removed. I'm not sure about my fathers side. I haven't had a mammogram since about 8 years ago.I was told the my breast tissue was too dense to see anything. and now I have no insurance.
My second question is about a distinct smell during my cycle only. It started about 10 months ago. It is like a sulfur smell not real strong but there. Could this be an infection or post menapause related? My pre menstrual and cycles themselves have started to become irradict and more symptomatic.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:16 pm

User avatar You need to see a gynecologist about your symptoms. Without insurance you may be eligible for some kind of low cost screenings offered through health departments or other agencies. You might try checking with the American Cancer Society for recommendations if you don't have any luck through your local health department. Ask for their cancer control program when you try calling.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us