Question: taking progesterone with all pregnancies?

nikkijaclyn - Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:41 am

I'm 27. I had a miscarriage with my 1st pregnancy. When I got pregnant the 2nd time my OB/GYN found out that my progesterone level was low. He put me on Prometrium for 4 months. I no have a happy and healthy 2 1/2 year old. My husband and I are now talking about having another baby. Will I have to take progesterone supplements with all subsequent pregnancies?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:53 am

Not necessarily. There is no way to know if the progesterone is what made the difference but if your levels were low it was certainly good advice. Perhaps your doctor will check the levels next time as well; if normal, you may not need to, but that would be a call your doctor and you will need to make at the time. There is no guarantee you can avoid a miscarriage, even taking the medication. Most miscarriages occur for unknown reasons, perhaps because the fetus is not developing properly. Progesterone cannot prevent such an event from occurring; it can only boost your levels to the normal range to give you the best possible chance.