Question: lump

traveler89 - Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:37 pm

im an 18 year old female with an odd lump near my clitoris... its kinda fleshy and can be moved around. im really scared and don't know whether or not i should go to a doctor...
someone please tell me what this thing is.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:35 am

My first guess would be that this might be a bartholin gland cyst, which is a fluid-filled sac on the gland that lubricates the vaginal lips. Only rarely are these infected (abscessed). If that is what this is, it is harmless and fairly common so don't worry too much. It may stay small, or it could get larger. In order to actually diagnose this, you should see a doctor who may remove it - a simple procedure. Once treated, these rarely return. Having it checked out will give you peace of mind but it would not be an urgent concern unless it is bothering you, causing pain, or showing any signs of being infected.