Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Heavy white discharge

 woodlael - Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:39 am

I am a 51 year old female. The regularity of my periods changed several years ago and I seem to be getting them once every 3 months now. Previously (about 2 years ago), I described some symptoms that come and go and my gynecologist then thought I may have a prolapse uterus. My parents are alive and healthy although a few of my siblings have high blood pressure.

Currently, I am concerned about a heavy white discharge that I've had now for 3 months. About 2 1/2 months ago, I had a scheduled appointment with a family practice physician as a new patitent and mentioned that I am getting white debris in my urine and that my urine smelled unpleasant. She did an exam, pap smear, blood test and urine tests. They did a culture at that time and found nothing. I had my period on the 29-Sept and the bleeding seemed normal. After my period, the discharge began again ranging from clear to thick white. The last couple of weeks, it's been consistenly white. I saw my family practice doctor again about 10 days ago and they took another urine test and did another culture. My doctor mentioned that if I want to see a urologist to let her know. I received the results of my culture and there is no problem. Just to make sure the white debris in my urine is discharge, I put my hand in the toilet to feel it and I'm pretty sure it is discharge. Sometimes, when I urinate it feels warm, but not burning. I am taking iron and calcium supplements. Also, I've taken aspirin about 4 or 5 times in the past couple of months due to a couple of strange headaches that I've had (very unusual for me to have headaches). Do you think I should go to a urologist?

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:17 am

User avatar I don't think you have anything to lose by seeing the specialist. You may not get answers still but at least you know you tried. And if things just don't seem right, it's good to check it out.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us