Question: Vaginal Burning-- Bacterial Vaginosis or UTI?

LEARN - Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:28 am

22/f

About 6 months ago, I was on Loestrin 24 FE. While on this medication, I did not have my period (I am not pregnant as diagnosed by my doctor multiple times) for four months. While on this medication, I developed frequent pain during urination and after I urinated I had a slight urge to go again. My doctor ran some tests and found that I had bacterial vaginosis, most likely caused by my hormone imbalances. At that time, I switched back to my regular birth control of Kariva. This is my second month of being back on my old pill and now I have had my period for three weeks.

About a week ago, I noticed that my vagina started to get a burning sensation and I examined myself and it looked as though my skin was raw from wearing tampons so often. Thus, I switched over and started to use pads. My symptoms worsened including pain and swelling in my vagina. A week later and my burning sensation has gotten unbearable. I feel as though it might be bacterial vaginosis again, however now it's taking on symptoms of a UTI.

I can't see my doctor yet because I am still on my period and who knows when that will stop. I'm praying that my period stops sometime soon and I can actually get in with my doctor and before the Thanksgiving holiday. Until then, HELP!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:31 pm

User avatar You can definitely see your doctor even though you are bleeding and I would encourage you to do so. Just explain exactly what is happening. You should not need to suffer with this and you could have a UTI as well as a vaginal infection so it is important to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.