Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: I had my period and took plan B and have another period

samayah85 - Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:27 am

Hi, I'm kind of new to the plan b pills because I always use a condom for sex. I never thought I would need it, but one day the day right after my period me and my fiance did it without a condom. Even though he withdrew it before he cums out I still took plan b right after (like 5 minute after) because I'm afraid I might be pregnant, is it normal to have a side effect of another period from plan b? even though it was just a week after my normal period? both period only last 4-5 days.

Comment please. Thank you very much.
 samayah85 - Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:52 pm

and i started to have discharge clear ones.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:07 pm

User avatar Yes, plan B has strong hormonal properties so periods can be affected for a few months even in some cases. By the way, you were actually at quite a low risk for pregnancy on the day following your period and withdrawal isn't a perfect birth control method but combined with the timing, it would definitely improve your odds. Of course no birth control is perfect but plan B does come with some side effects you must anticipate.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us