Question: WHAT TO ASK FOR AT THE DR OFFICE

SDSC - Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:12 am

HI. I AM A 28 YEAR OLD MOTHER OF 1 WHO HAS BEEN TRYING TO CONCEIVE AGAIN FOR OVER 2 YEARS NOW. LET ME GIVE YOU SOME HISTORY. I BECAME PREGNANT (UNPLANNED) AT AGE 19. HAD VERY NORMAL, UNEVENTFUL PREGNANCY & GAVE BIRTH TO HEALTHY BABY BOY 11/25/96. I WENT ON THE PILL AFTER HIS BIRTH. I CAME OFF OF THE PILL 3/02. I HAD NORMAL PERIODS IN MARCH, APRIL, MAY, JUNE, THEN IN JULY '02 I MISSED MY PERIOD. BLOOD TEST NEG. SO WAS PRESCRIBED PROVERA. HAD PERIOD IN AUGUST, MISSED SEPT. AGAIN BLOOD TEST NEG. WAS PRESCRIBED PROVERA AGAIN BUT DID NOT WANT TO TAKE IT, SO I WAITED. COMPLETELY SKIPPED PERIOD IN SEPT, HAD NORMAL CYCLE IN OCT, COMPLETELY SKIPPED NOV, HAD NORMAL CYCLE IN DEC, COMPLETELY SKIPPED JAN, HAD NORMAL CYCLE IN FEB. AT THIS POINT I MADE APPT WITH DR. IN MARCH (I STARTED ONTIME IN MARCH '03) DR. DID BLOOD WORK & SAID THAT MY INSULIN LEVELS WERE HIGH & THAT WAS CAUSING THE MISSED PERIODS. PRESCRIBED METFORMIN & CLOMID. USED THESE MEDS MARCH-AUGUST. PERIODS WERE NORMAL BUT DID NOT CONCEIVE. MADE APPT WITH INFERTILITY SPEC. IN SEPT. PERFORMED HYSTEROSALPINGOGRAM FOUND NO PROBLEMS, SO PROCEEDED WITH IUI OCT. 2003. SUCCESSFUL CONCEPTION LED TO MISCARRIAGE AT 6 WEEKS. AT THAT POINT I CAME OFF OF ALL MEDICATION (INCLUDING METFORMIN) MY PERIODS HAVE BEEN AS FOLLOWS SINCE JAN 2004, 1/24, 2/24, 3/26, 5/5, 6/6, 7/8. I STILL HAVE NOT STARTED SINCE 7/8/2004. I HAD BLOOD TEST 8/13/04 (I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WAS QUALITIVE OR QUANTITIVE) WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS NEGATIVE. I HAVE TAKEN 6 HPT'S, 2 LOOKED LIKE THEY HAD VERY FAINT POSITIVE LINES CLEAR BLUE EASY ON 8/26/04 AND CVS BRAND 8/30/04. I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO THINK. WITH MY FIRST PREGNANCY I REMEMBER TAKING 6 OR 8 HPT'S ALL WITH NEGATIVE RESULTS AND FINALLY GOT A POSITIVE BLOOD TEST AT HOME (MY MOTHER IS A NURSE & WAS ABLE TO DRAWN MY BLOOD AT HOME & USE A TEST MADE FOR BLOOD OR URINE) I BELIEVE I WAS ABOUT 8 WEEKS PAST MY LMP AT THAT POINT. IF I CALL THE DR & HAVE ANOTHER BLOOD TEST DONE AND IT COMES OUT NEGATIVE AGAIN, WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE? SHOULD I ASK FOR AN ULTRASOUND TO SEE IF WE CAN SEE ANYTHING WRONG? CYSTS OR SOMETHING? I JUST WANT TO BE PREPARED BEFORE I CALL AND THEY JUST TRY TO GIVE ME MORE DRUGS, I WOULD REALLY RATHER NOT TAKE ANYMORE MEDICINE IF THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
 alisonm - Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:23 pm

Do you have poly cystic ovarian disease? If you don't know ask for an ultra sound. MEtformin (generic for glucophage) is used often in women wiht PCOS WIth the infirtility and the high insulin levels it is highly suggestive of PCOS.

If the blood test is negative, ask for an ultrasound to make sure of cyst tumors, or PCOS.

If you are over weight, loss weight and it will help PCOS and your ability to concieve.
Alison
 SDSC - Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:29 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE ALISON. THE DR.'S HAVE NEVER TOLD ME THAT I HAVE PCOS, BUT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY THINK THAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM. I HAD ANOTHER BLOOD TEST YESTERDAY AND IT WAS NEG. AGAIN. WHEN I HAD THE HYSTERSALPINGOGRAM DONE A YEAR AGO THE DR. SAID THAT HE DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING. HE ALSO DID SEVERAL ULTRASOUNDS PREPARING FOR THE IUI AND ANOTHER ONE WHEN I DISCOVERED I WAS M/C. THE ONLY MENTION HE MADE OF ANY CYSTS WAS WHEN HE CALLED ME TO CONFIRM THAT I WAS IN FACT M/C HE SAID THAT "HE THOUGHT HE MAY HAVE POSSIBLE SEEN WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN A SHADOW OF A SMALL CYST" DO YOU KNOW A LOT ABOUT PCOS? WHAT ARE OTHER SYMPTOMS? WHY DO I HAVE NORMAL CYCLES FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN START MISSING THEM? THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

STEPHANIE