Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Starting the pill

blondie83 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:22 pm

I was recently prescribed ortho -cyclen 28. I know it says on the package that most people start taking it the first day of their period but would it really matter? I don't get my period for another 2 weeks and I'd like to get started on it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:53 pm

User avatar If you know you are not pregnant, you can start taking the pill immediately. The reason you typically are instructed to start during a period is because then you know you are not already pregnant.

Best Wishes.
 blondie83 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Thank you. I appriciate your advice. I got them at the local free health clinic and they rush you in and out so fast I forgot to ask certain questions about taking them.
For how long after starting the pill would you recomend using a different type of birth control ( condoms , sponge or whatever) until the the pills kick in?
Is it usually about a month or so?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:07 pm

User avatar It is recommended that you use a back up for seven days (one week). Thanks for writing in.

Debbie

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us