Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: arm pain tingling

 samban67 - Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:07 pm

I am 32 weeks pregnant with twins and absolutely miserable. It started with a tingling sensation in my right arm- like it was falling asleep. It happened mostly at night. My OB gave me a referral to go to a physical therapist and I have an appointment for Thurs. Until then he gave me a strap to put around my forearm (which hasn't done a bit of good!) But suddenly it turned into constant electric shock like pain and it is starting in my left arm. I am on the verge of cutting my arms off. I don't know what else to do. I haven't slept for 3 days straight b/c the pain is too intense. My husband is trying to get me to go to the ER, but I don't know what they can do for me. I broke my toe a few months ago and they said there was no meds they can give for pain. What can I do to relieve this? I don't know how much longer I can stand it!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
You should be in touch with your OB to let him/her know what is going on. As far along as you are, rather than the ER, if you cannot get into your regular doctor, you could go to the labor and delivery area, let them know your symptoms and they can contact the doctor covering for yours. There are safe pain medications in pregnancy and your doctor will be more comfortable with this that the ER physicians.

I don't know what the problem with your circulation and nerves might be caused by but you are in a high risk pregnancy so you should be checked.

Best wishes for a safe delivery.
 elsabe - Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Just a suggestion - if the regular docs can't help, I wonder if acupuncture could be an option? Might be a great non-pharma way to get the pain relief you need.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us