Question: HCG level quadrupled after miscarriage

jos2lan - Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi, two weeks ago had had a positive pregnancy test. Blood levels were 244. 5 days later I started spotting my levels dropped from 24 to 65. I was told I was miscarrying and had all signs and symptoms. I had blood levels checked a week later to make sure they were going down and they went from 65 to 97 and was told that all the tissue was probably not all out and most likely would need a D and C. I had another blood test on Dec 31st and had a Doctors appt today (Jan 2) my levels quadrupled. They went from 97 to 549 in 1 week. I'm very confused. Is there a baby and if so is it unharmed. I have to wait 1 more week to see what they levels read again and if they reach the right levels they will give me an ultrasound. Thank you Theresa
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:11 pm

I think if you were still pregnant, your levels would be much higher than this though you did not give information about the last menstrual period, number of weeks gestation at the time of the positive pregnancy test or other details.

My guess is you will be getting a D&C for possible incomplete evacuation of the miscarriage. It can take several weeks for the numbers to be at nonpregnancy levels. Don't stress too much about the numbers - we can drive ourselves crazy this way. Much of pregnancy-related life involves patience and waiting.