Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Very Irregular Period 4+ weeks?

 blergh - Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:16 am


First off, thank you for taking the time to answer this question. :)

I am 21 and have been experiencing irregularity with my period for about a year now, but it has never lasted this long (4 weeks or so). The flow varies from being light to heavy quiet often, and sometimes it comes out in brown clotty strands. I also feel like I need to sleep more often because I get light-headed a lot. I have not had any kids, do not smoke, nor drink, nor take any medication, nor have I had any operations performed on me. My last visit to the gyno was about a year ago and they said everything was okay when they did the pap smear. However, I do not exercise regulary, am somewhat sexually active, do not drink enough water a day, and am slightly overweight according to my BMI. Do you think those things might attribute to this?

How do I make it stop? Are there any particular foods, veggies or vitamins I could take to help regulate my period? Could stress be a factor? Is this something that will stop over time or will it need medicinal help to cure? Please help, I have never been so annoyed in my life. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
First I would like to assure you that this can be quite normal at your age. Unless you are taking hormonal birth control pills, irregularity is very common. But, because it can be a nuisance and could be a sign of something going on it is good to have it checked out. The doctor can prescribe hormones to help regulate your periods (usually birth control pills).

Being overweight can be a contributing factor as estrogen is higher because fat makes estrogen and a diet high in fat increases estrogen. This is not to say it is related to your situation but hormonal fluctuation can be affected by this. Also, overweight can be a symptom of PCOS which wreaks havoc with the menstrual cycle.

A pap smear does not detect every possible problem or variation so you may need to see your doctor again to evaluate your current situation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us