Question: Hysterctomy and infection?

DebiAndBoys - Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:15 pm

:?: I just had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. I was doing fine till 3 days ago. Now all of a sudden I have burning and stabbing pain on the sides of the abdominal incision. Also I am having some discharge from the incision that don't smell too good. Also still having some bleeding from the vagina that don't smell so good either. Can it be an infection?
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:04 am

User avatar Hi!

Are you scheduled for followup? Were you advised to get back to your doctor/nurse if you have any further problems?

Burning pains around the incision site can occur in some, and might take time to subside. It is usually due to the injured cutaneous nerves around the incision site. A minimal amount of watery discharge may also be expected. Nevertheless, it is imperative that you inform your doctor's office of the developments, and rule out infection.

bill
 Carolyn - Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:04 pm

Just a thought. Did you check to see of there was any vaginal packing left in your vagina. Sometimes women insert tampon and forget they are there. After a week or so, they begin to smell an odor and don't know where it is coming from. Upon inspection they discover the tampon way up inside them and find the symptoms subside when its removed. So I wonder if the doctor put a vaginal pack in and it didnt get removed? I suggest checking. Also, if you are having any drainage from the incisional area, you may have what is called a seroma. That is a watery cyst that forms when the drainage gets trapped inside and a pocket of fluid near the incision forms. They need to incise and drain it totally then resuture where the cyst was so another doesnt form. This happened with my surgery.