Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Hysterctomy and infection?

 DebiAndBoys - Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:15 pm

:?: I just had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. I was doing fine till 3 days ago. Now all of a sudden I have burning and stabbing pain on the sides of the abdominal incision. Also I am having some discharge from the incision that don't smell too good. Also still having some bleeding from the vagina that don't smell so good either. Can it be an infection?
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:04 am

User avatar Hi!

Are you scheduled for followup? Were you advised to get back to your doctor/nurse if you have any further problems?

Burning pains around the incision site can occur in some, and might take time to subside. It is usually due to the injured cutaneous nerves around the incision site. A minimal amount of watery discharge may also be expected. Nevertheless, it is imperative that you inform your doctor's office of the developments, and rule out infection.

 Carolyn - Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:04 pm

Just a thought. Did you check to see of there was any vaginal packing left in your vagina. Sometimes women insert tampon and forget they are there. After a week or so, they begin to smell an odor and don't know where it is coming from. Upon inspection they discover the tampon way up inside them and find the symptoms subside when its removed. So I wonder if the doctor put a vaginal pack in and it didnt get removed? I suggest checking. Also, if you are having any drainage from the incisional area, you may have what is called a seroma. That is a watery cyst that forms when the drainage gets trapped inside and a pocket of fluid near the incision forms. They need to incise and drain it totally then resuture where the cyst was so another doesnt form. This happened with my surgery.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us