Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Brownish bleeding, taking the Pill and had Unprotected Sex

babydoll - Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:33 pm

Okay so heres the story...... Im a 19 year old female and last month in the middle of my cycle of Ortho Tricyclen Lo the pack went missing, I called their hotline then told me how to handle it. At the time I was bleeding ( I thought it was my period) the nurse told me it was irregular bleeding but it was to be expected. So I started taking this pack of birth control and everything seemed to be okay. A week ago I had sex without a condom for the first time ever! Ive been sexually active for two years and on birth control for about a year...... so naturally i started to freak when i was getting pains and then started the weird brow/dark sometime pinkish bleeding. I have two more active pills to take, today and tmrw... then Im supposed to start my period and I usually do within three days. Should I be concerned that I am bleeding, the nurse I had talked to told me I might not get my period this month but now im bleeding. Its not enough to wear a pad but when I wipe it can be heavy and pink at times. Is this just the spotting they say is a side effect of the pill or should I be concerned...

Help I cant really tell my parents cause they will freak out. I think it's too soon for me to be worried that im pregnant, and my boyfriend feels the same way and is worried that something is physically wrong with me. :-(
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:55 am

User avatar Hello,
Adjusting to the pill often causes midcycle bleeding which can go on for a few months. Usually within four months things have settled down. I would not worry about this if I were you. If it continues beyond a few months and/or you have other symptoms, you should call the provider who prescribed the pill.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us