Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology


 carrief - Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:43 am

I am a 39 year old female and I have been having strange chest/left arm discomfort for the last several months. This discomfort begins about a week before my period and comes and goes for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks each month.

The discomfort includes a burning sensation on the left side of my chest which some times radiates down my left arm (this last month it seemed to radiate up the left side of my neck). The burning feels like ice water if flowing through my viens. I also have slight intermittent cramping in my left chest area and left arm. At times my left hand and arm feels a bit numb and tingly. Several times, I have been awaken at night with chest palpitations and a feeling of weakness throughout my body (like my circulation is not working well - maybe anxiety??).

These symptoms are getting stronger each month and lasting for a longer period of time.

I do not have a primary doctor and would like to find one, but I don't know if I should seek out a cardiologist, an internist, or a women's health specialist.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:41 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am doubtful your symptoms are related to your menses and suspect this is coincidental, though I can't say for sure. I would begin with a family doctor or internist because you should have these symptoms checked. Of course heart is the obvious concern. If the doctor feels a cardiology consult is warranted based on what he or she finds, then you could follow accordingly. Of course it is your decision and any doctor you mentioned would be fine to see initially if you prefer or find it more convenient.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us