Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: irregular periods

christine - Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:10 am

im 22 yrs old and im experiencing a very irregular monthly period..sometimes it took 40 days, meaning there are months when i don't have my period and sometimes its only 28 days..how could i possibly have a normal cycle?? is being sexually active a cause of the abnormality?? tnx..pls help me.
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:09 pm

User avatar Hi!

I don't think that sexual activity can control the cycle's regularity. Menstrual irregularity is not a disease per se, though it could be a sign of other diseases. But since it is quite common among the general mass, investigating it would be usually done only after a trial of medications. Oral contraceptives are the first line of medications that are used to regularize menses.

bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us