Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: I have a painful swelling of the perineum

 Brinky - Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:29 pm

On sunday I had sexual intercourse with my boyfriend. Then about two days later, i noticed that the perineum(?) the area between my rectum and vagina was really swollen and painful, more towards the rectum then the vagina. I looked at in the mirror and it is red and looks swollen. I am also having a watery discharge and sometimes white discharge (which i have had before). It doesnt' really itch or anything and when urinating it hurts initially but then it doesn't after that initial second. I looked to see if there were any bumps or anything in that area and there is none except for the painful swelling along the entire perineum area. I took another look this morning and it looks like there is a white spot just inside the vagina opening but it looks like a long white thing and not really a bump and it looks like there might be a tear at the opening?

I don't know if this matters but my boyfriend had used a finger near the anus and then near the vagina area.

I have an appt next Tuesday with the physician's assistant (because I couldnt' get in with the gynecologist for several weeks). I am freaking out thinking I have herpes although i don't think it is possible since I was recently checked for STDs. Can anyone help? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:51 pm

User avatar Hello,
I suspect this is some type of contact dermatitis or just trauma from the activity. Most likely it will resolve on its own but there is always the possibility of infection, not necessarily of the STD variety - just vaginosis - bacterial, yeast or even UTI. I'm glad you will be seeing the PA and I am confident you will get the answer and appropriate treatment if indicated.

Good luck.
 Brinky - Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Thank you for your response. They thought it might be cyst or some sort of abscess.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:16 pm

User avatar Thank you for the update. Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us