Question: Period blood is BLACK

Jodi1969 - Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi, I am a 38 year old female and I have already had 1 period in Feb from Feb 3-8th, and now having another one that started Feb 27 and still going. But this time, the blood is BLACK, and staying black the entire period. Also, had cramps so bad. Never had them that bad. Why is the blood black?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:21 pm

Black blood (meaning it is old blood) can be very normal. The menstrual fluid varies and contains more than blood - other tissue that the uterus sheds when you are not pregnant. If it continues to be black every month it would probably be wise to talk to your doctor in case anything else is going on but this doesn't bring up any red flags.