Question: Vaginal Discharge

shanniboyd - Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:31 am

Obviously, this is not a fun topic.

I've had touble with excess discharge and odor since I was a child diagnosed with Precocious Pubery. My mother always associated the two together, and the thick white discharge was more bothersome than anything.

However, now that I am older, the discharge varies a great deal and is often very uncomforable. Sometimes it is clear and mucous-like (which I think is normal), other times it's white and thick. I can never go without a pantyliner and usually have to use several each day, otherwise I cannot stay dry and comfortable. However, the residue left on the pantyliner is usually different than the discharge inside of me. If I don't wear a pantyliner, my discharge often stains the underwear material JUST like bleach, which does not improve when washed. Other variations leave my pantyliners with a NEON, yellow-green residue, or dark reddish-brown stains. I have a strong odor with most discharge, although I have noticed that it changes. Lately, I've noticed that I smell much like vagisil cream (which is really unpleasant) but I haven't used Vagisil for weeks! The most frustrating problem with my discharge is how red and raw my labia skin becomes. When the irritation is at its worst, I find that I have hard "knots" in the skin around my vagina that hurt when touched, and feel about the size of a pinky nail, but are not visible.

I have PCOS and endometriosis, and in the past several months have had only one "normal" period. Most months pass with a small bit of off-and-on bleeding, if any.

Both my husband and I had no sexual partners before our marriage, so I'm not concerned about an STD. I am only 22, but since I do have PCOS, I wonder if it is the fluctuation of hormones? In the past I was prescribed ortho-tricyclen, which I learned is very wrong for PCOS, and I later was given Zovia/Demulen. But I've been off of the Zovia for a year or so, because I had constant migraines and was unable to wear my contact lenses while taking the Pill.

I also wonder if pads and pantyliners could be causing irriation? I've yet to find a wash that doesn't leave me feeling itchy or uncomfortable--even Summer's Eve Sensitive wash doesn't make me feel fresh, and can irritate my skin.

Any insight would be appreciated--thank you!

I forgot to mention: I get shooting pains in my vagina and sometimes, I think, my cervix(?) that make it difficult to move. It will literally feel like a razor blade inside of me. It occurs sporadically, and might last 30 seconds or 30 minutes. I don't know if this is related to the discharge.
 shanniboyd - Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:35 pm

Any feedback, from even knowledgeable women, not a doctor would be appreciated. Thank you.
 ashkoi92 - Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:00 pm

I am 19 and i have had the same problem since i was about twelve it is embarrassing! I recently moved in with my boyfriend and we want to become sexual active but i refuse to because i am so embarrassed of the smell that comes from my vagina.
 mermaidvision - Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:17 pm

I can also relate to this post! Ever since hitting puberty really i seem to constantly have a clear or creamy discharge throughout the day, its so uncomfortable and embarassing. Obviously when this first started my mum would do my washing and as she never seemed to be worried by it I never visited the doctors about it however I wonder if I did there what would have happen or if they would be able to do anything about it or even worse if there is a serious problem there!
 lil_hotmonkey_11 - Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:48 pm

im 18 and ive never had a discharge until tonight i went to the restroom and looked down onto my panties and realized a white substance. What could that be?
my fiance and i are trying to get pregnant so im not totally sure what it could be.
i don't have any stds or anything of that sort my fiance is the only guy ive ever had sex with unprotected and we both got tested and we both don't have stds