Question: Discharge and Irritation

shanniboyd - Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:41 am

Obviously, this is not a fun topic.

I've had touble with excess discharge and odor since I was a child diagnosed with Precocious Pubery. My mother always associated the two together, and the thick white discharge was more bothersome than anything.

However, now that I am older, the discharge varies a great deal and is often very uncomforable. Sometimes it is clear and mucous-like (which I think is normal), other times it's white and thick. I can never go without a pantyliner and usually have to use several each day, otherwise I cannot stay dry and comfortable. However, the residue left on the pantyliner is usually different than the discharge inside of me. If I don't wear a pantyliner, my discharge often stains the underwear material JUST like bleach, which does not improve when washed. Other variations leave my pantyliners with a NEON, yellow-green residue, or dark reddish-brown stains. I have a strong odor with most discharge, although I have noticed that it changes. Lately, I've noticed that I smell much like vagisil cream (which is really unpleasant) but I haven't used Vagisil for weeks! The most frustrating problem with my discharge is how red and raw my labia skin becomes. When the irritation is at its worst, I find that I have hard "knots" in the skin around my vagina that hurt when touched, and feel about the size of a pinky nail, but are not visible.

I have PCOS and endometriosis, and in the past several months have had only one "normal" period. Most months pass with a small bit of off-and-on bleeding, if any.

Both my husband and I had no sexual partners before our marriage, so I'm not concerned about an STD. I am only 22, but since I do have PCOS, I wonder if it is the fluctuation of hormones? In the past I was prescribed ortho-tricyclen, which I learned is very wrong for PCOS, and I later was given Zovia/Demulen. But I've been off of the Zovia for a year or so, because I had constant migraines and was unable to wear my contact lenses while taking the Pill.

I also wonder if pads and pantyliners could be causing irriation? I've yet to find a wash that doesn't leave me feeling itchy or uncomfortable--even Summer's Eve Sensitive wash doesn't make me feel fresh, and can irritate my skin.

Any insight would be appreciated--thank you!

I forgot to mention: I get shooting pains in my vagina and sometimes, I think, my cervix(?) that make it difficult to move. It will literally feel like a razor blade inside of me. It occurs sporadically, and might last 30 seconds or 30 minutes. I don't know if this is related to the discharge.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:26 am

User avatar Hi shanniboyd,
Have you had a recent gynecological exam and pap smear? Yellow/green vaginal discharge may indicate an infection. The hard knots around your vagina could possibly be caused by an allergic reaction to your pads. With the symptoms you are having you should see your doctor to check for infections or other reasons for the discharge as well as the hard knots and pain.