Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Inflamation in vaginal area

 vgooch - Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:25 am

I am a 62 year old female, and had a hysterectomy about ten years ago.

I was treated for a urinary tract infection about three weeks ago (Cipro for 5 days). The infection cleared up, but now I have inflamation and a burning sensation in the vaginal area.

I have been tested for a vaginal infection and the test came back normal. I have been using an estrogen cream but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Do you have any advice as to what I can do to alleviate the pain?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:44 pm

User avatar Hello,
You don't mention whether or not you had a complete hysterectomy, including the ovaries but I will assume that is the case since you are using estrogen cream.

Vaginal dryness is the most common culprit of this type of soreness. Smoking, some medications, and immune disorders, such as Sjogren's Syndrome can also play a role. If you have not had a pelvic exam (many women avoid these after a hysterectomy) you should do so to rule out any concerning problem that might be detected through microscopic analysis of the cells.

You may try an additional vaginal lubricant such as Replens or Lubrin. Some women have had success with alternative therapies but these should be approved by your doctor before trying. Proponents claim Black cohosh, wild yams, and isoflavones help but we don't have a lot of scientific data to support these claims.

You should not have to suffer with this so don't be afraid to seek treatment.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us