Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abnormally Spotting (light pink periods)

ChristinaEW - Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:29 pm

I have been taking Orthro Tri Cyclin Lo since June 2007 and have never had a problem with my periods. I am normally very very heavy ( I have to wear a pad and a super tampon) with bright red blood when I get my periods.

This is the thrid month in a row where my periods have been either 4 to 7 days late (I am never late-I have taken pregnancy tests as precausionary and all come back negitive.) also once I do start bleeding its been very very light (very light pink) and I spot all day and bleed for approx. 20mins all together. I only spot for 3 or four days and then my period ends.

I normally only get cramps the day before my period starts and thats it and they don't hurt, however I have been getting very bad cramps every day that I spot and they are quite painful at times.

This is very abnormal for me since as I stated usually have very heavy periods.

What could cause this and is it something I need to worry about?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
I suspect your body has adjusted to this hormonal therapy with a reduced period. This is a common side effect of oral contraceptives. I'm not sure why it didn't affect you this way to begin with but it certainly is not alarming.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us