Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: birth control pill- missed pill

tiffanyyyyyy - Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:00 pm

i've been on ortho tri-cyclen lo for about two months now. i've finished all the active pills on my most recent pack, and had unprotected sex last night. the problem is, around day 8 of this same pack (so around, two weeks ago), the beginning of the light blue pills, i dropped one on the ground and couldn't find it anymore. the next day i continued taking the pills in the same order.

i've looked online, and all they can tell me is that if i miss a day, to take the missed pill the next day, along with the pill you are supposed to take. but since i couldn't find the pill, obviously i didn't take it.

what is the liklihood of getting pregnant? i do not have a car and attend school fulltime, so it is near impossible to go to a planned parenthood for the emergency contraceptive pill. is this even necessary? will one missed pill mean that i can become pregnant, even if i missed it two weeks ago? i've been taking it for two months already, so shouldn't the hormones already be in my system?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:18 am

User avatar After missing a pill you may be at increased risk of getting pregnant for the following 7 days. Different BCPs have different effects and you are strongly encouraged to read the package insert information of ortho tri-cyclen to find out the effects of missing a pill.

If this is the only time you have had unprotected sex during the past month then I would say the chances of getting pregnant are minimal.

Best regards,
 lchip - Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:59 pm

When I was taking a pill out of my pack, somehow it broke in half and I lost half of it. Would I be OK if I just used extra protection for the next 7 days?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:14 pm

User avatar That's not a bad idea. However, I think your probably safe now anyway unless you had unprotected sex during the seven days following your missed pill.

Best regards,
 sarah_pan - Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:30 pm

I've been on alesse for about 9 months (I've never missed a pill), and on day 15 of the 21 pill pack, i missed taking my pill. I remembered about 17 hrs later, and took the pill as soon as i remembered, and i have taken a second pill at the regular time... Is it ok to not use another form of birth control, or do i have to use one, along with taking the pill, until i get my next period?
 sweetie - Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:42 pm

Hi I have a question about missing a birth control pill. I don't remember if I took it saturday moring or not. I am taking Yasmin by the way. The next day I did take my pill. I heard if you think you missed a pill you should take two the next day. I didnt take another pill. I only took one. I am sexually active. This is the only pill i missed if I did miss it. I am on the right day as well. My stomach has been hurting a lil bit feeling naushish. So I don't know what that means.

Ali
 diamondD5 - Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Ive missed takin one of my pills...and the next day i had unprotected sex...so then i did what the doctor told me i took two the next day and took the rest regularly...but could i get pregnant from missing that one pill and having sex? help!
 diamondD5 - Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:47 pm

Ive missed takin one of my pills...and the next day i had unprotected sex...so then i did what the doctor told me i took two the next day and took the rest regularly...but could i get pregnant from missing that one pill and having sex? help!
 shy_girl - Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 pm

One day I thought I took the pill and I forgot and the next day I had sex with my boyfriend didn't think anything about it. But I took them the same day I had sex with him, could I get pregnant by doing that?
 tinky - Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:09 pm

i had breakthrew bleeing after my period ended last month and i took my birth control pill everyday as i normally would. i was due for my period last sunday. I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. i have yet to get my period. should i start on my next month of birth control? i have been on it for over a year. please help

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us