Question: birth control pill- missed pill

tiffanyyyyyy - Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:00 pm

i've been on ortho tri-cyclen lo for about two months now. i've finished all the active pills on my most recent pack, and had unprotected sex last night. the problem is, around day 8 of this same pack (so around, two weeks ago), the beginning of the light blue pills, i dropped one on the ground and couldn't find it anymore. the next day i continued taking the pills in the same order.

i've looked online, and all they can tell me is that if i miss a day, to take the missed pill the next day, along with the pill you are supposed to take. but since i couldn't find the pill, obviously i didn't take it.

what is the liklihood of getting pregnant? i do not have a car and attend school fulltime, so it is near impossible to go to a planned parenthood for the emergency contraceptive pill. is this even necessary? will one missed pill mean that i can become pregnant, even if i missed it two weeks ago? i've been taking it for two months already, so shouldn't the hormones already be in my system?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:18 am

User avatar After missing a pill you may be at increased risk of getting pregnant for the following 7 days. Different BCPs have different effects and you are strongly encouraged to read the package insert information of ortho tri-cyclen to find out the effects of missing a pill.

If this is the only time you have had unprotected sex during the past month then I would say the chances of getting pregnant are minimal.

lchip - Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:59 pm

When I was taking a pill out of my pack, somehow it broke in half and I lost half of it. Would I be OK if I just used extra protection for the next 7 days?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:14 pm

User avatar That's not a bad idea. However, I think your probably safe now anyway unless you had unprotected sex during the seven days following your missed pill.

sarah_pan - Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:30 pm

I've been on alesse for about 9 months (I've never missed a pill), and on day 15 of the 21 pill pack, i missed taking my pill. I remembered about 17 hrs later, and took the pill as soon as i remembered, and i have taken a second pill at the regular time... Is it ok to not use another form of birth control, or do i have to use one, along with taking the pill, until i get my next period?
 sweetie - Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:42 pm

Hi I have a question about missing a birth control pill. I don't remember if I took it saturday moring or not. I am taking Yasmin by the way. The next day I did take my pill. I heard if you think you missed a pill you should take two the next day. I didnt take another pill. I only took one. I am sexually active. This is the only pill i missed if I did miss it. I am on the right day as well. My stomach has been hurting a lil bit feeling naushish. So I don't know what that means.

Ali
 diamondD5 - Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Ive missed takin one of my pills...and the next day i had unprotected sex...so then i did what the doctor told me i took two the next day and took the rest regularly...but could i get pregnant from missing that one pill and having sex? help!
 diamondD5 - Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:47 pm

shy_girl - Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 pm

One day I thought I took the pill and I forgot and the next day I had sex with my boyfriend didn't think anything about it. But I took them the same day I had sex with him, could I get pregnant by doing that?
 tinky - Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:09 pm

i had breakthrew bleeing after my period ended last month and i took my birth control pill everyday as i normally would. i was due for my period last sunday. I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. i have yet to get my period. should i start on my next month of birth control? i have been on it for over a year. please help