Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Phentermine & pain in LLQ

CarynB - Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:41 am

I started using the pill phentermine (15 mg) 6 days ago. It's helping me keep from eating, but I have a problem: I've been tracking my basal body temp for the last 6 months and I always ovulate on day 19, which would have been monday (2 days ago), but I haven't yet so it's at LEAST a day late. I know because my temperature has remained low. Yesterday, the day after I was supposed to Ov, I started getting and am still having a very sharp pain 3 inches below my belly button to the left (maybe where my left ovary is). The pain hurts more when i press it or bend. My back's been aching since the 3rd day on the pills too. Should I be concerned about my fertility or anything else? These are not symptoms advised online nor have I read them on any phen forums. I am not on Birth Control at all (not for a year).
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:45 pm

User avatar Hello,
I know of no association between phentermine use and abdominal pain, ovulation problems, fertility or other related conditions. I suspect this is coincidental and the fact you are trying to become pregnant but not achieving it, there is a possibility you are not ovulating every month. Don't worry about the "lateness" - each woman is different and it doesn't matter what day you ovulate. It is a myth that most women ovulate on day 14 - this is just an average and even further from fact would be the fact you would always ovulate on a particular day in your cycle. Fluctuation is the norm and it relates to the varying levels of hormones in your body.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us