Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: injury to female genitals

 jesuslove - Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:48 pm

Dear Dr.
When I was 16 (19 years ago) I jumped a hurdle while running track and fell on it, this resulted in a large hematoma between my legs and I spent almost a month in the hospital. There is so much scar tissue that still swells and I am trying to find out more information but do not remember the medical terminology of this injury, what would it have been called and could this be any reason why I am haveing a hard time getting pregnant?
Thank you,
jesuslove :?
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:46 pm

User avatar Hi!

I am not exactly sure what it is that you suffered. Was it perineal hematoma? or vaginal hematoma?

What did your obgyn answer as to your questions?

 jesuslove - Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:18 pm

I tried to discuss it with my obgyn, and he said the swelling on the right side had nothing to do with that....but he really was not listening. I guess it would of been a vaginal hematoma, I hit the right side of my vagina on the hurdle and had a hematoma about the size of a volleyball, the streching of the skin left alot of scar tissue...this is where it is swelling during sex but here lately the swelling has stayed even now with no sex for 4 days. Is there any where I can find more information on this injury in women and problems it has caused?
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:28 am

User avatar Hi!

I can only suggest you seek consultation from a more experienced obgyn.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us