Question: Positive Pregnancy Test - Not Implantation Bleeding?

myaltmailbox - Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Hello Nurse Debbie,

Last month I posted numerous pregnancy tests + all the symptoms, including a missed period (except for what appeared to be implantation bleeding). As it turned out, we weren't pregnant (although we've been trying for several months).

This month, we've received 3 positive pregnancy tests + no pregnancy symptoms (nausea, headaches, breast tenderness, swollen abdomen, nothing!) AND what appears to be a steady normal period (not implantation bleeding, which should last only 3 days). This "period" is on its fourth day with no cramping.

I've scheduled to see a doctor next Monday.

In your opinion, is it more likely that I am pregnant or not pregnant? (God sure is funny ... sometimes.)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:12 pm

It's good you have a sense of humor.

I'm sorry it took us so long to answer your question. But, there is no set number of days for implantation bleeding and some women feel that they have a nearly normal period with implantation so this alone would not make me decide where to put my money if I were betting on this. By now I'm sure you have a result but barring additional testing and/or ultrasound determination, it would be impossible to say if you are pregnant or not. Each woman responds to pregnancy differently and each pregnancy can be very different in the same woman.

myaltmailbox - Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Thank you so much for your response.

I wanted to post a follow-up in case anyone is going through what we are going through. As it turned out, I experienced something called "chemical pregnancy." I am indeed pregnant, but due to lack of proper implantation of the fetus in the womb, the pregnancy goes away. Apparently, this is a very common phenomenon; most people, except those who are actively trying to conceive, never notice they are pregnant, as it comes and goes so quickly.

As of now, we're still trying. This time: positive pregnancy test, positive ymptoms, 1 month, no period, no implantation bleeding, just simply ... pregnant.

To those who are trying: negative PT's mean 'no, you're not pregnant,' as much as you would like to think that you are.

Thank you again for your expert replies!