Question: Abnormal Bleeding During Pregnancy

dougandsyd - Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:09 pm

Hello

This is my third pregnancy. My first was normal, and my second one I was diagnosed with preeclampsia. I was on OvCon35 for birth control when I got pregnant. My due date is somewhere in late June of 2005, which puts me at about 6 weeks pregnant. I have been bleeding for 4.5 days now. I went to my OB/GYN immediately when it started. I had a BhCG test that came back at a level somewhere around 8,800 that first day, an ultrasound the next which showed a yolk sac and heart beat, and just had another BhCG test done today, of which I don't know the results.

Last night I thought I passed tissue, but the doc said it was clotted white blood cells. I don't understand how they can separate when just sitting there and form independent clots, but I'm not really concerned about that. I am concerned because I am having cramps that get much worse when I move around, especially walking or bending over. The doc told me to go onto bed rest, which I have done today, and it seems to help a little bit.

If the embryo was in the uterus with a normal heartbeat, do I have anything to worry about? Isn't this a long time to continue bleeding? Why is it so painful? I have had two pregnancies, and never this. I have no nausea at all, which is different from my normal pregnancies as well. My doctors are not giving me any reasons that I could be bleeding OTHER than miscarriage, so if you could also tell me what non-negative reasons for bleeding there could be, I would appreciate it. I can handle having a miscarriage, but being in limbo and not knowing what is happening is far more difficult. The blood I am bleeding is a bright brand-new blood type of color. The blood pours out when I use the restroom, but not when I am lying or sitting down. Also, my pain is on the left side, and it feels like it is kind of behind my hip bone somewhere, and it gets worse with the cramping. What is my pain from? I've read on ectopic pregnancies, and it seems they've ruled that out, but this just worries me.

Thank you for your time.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:29 am

User avatar Hello:
It may not be normal to bleed early in pregnancy, but it certainly is common. First trimester bleeding occurs in about a quarter of pregnancies. Technically, any bleeding in the first half of pregnancy is defined as threatened miscarriage, or (in medical terms) threatened abortion.
That said, more than half of the women who have some bleeding in early pregnancy go on to carry the pregnancy forward.
About one in eight pregnancies ends in miscarriage. The rate is even higher for older mothers or fathers. Unfortunately, most first trimester losses cannot be prevented. Most are caused by fetal chromosomal abnormalities or by abnormal fetal development.
If you are having bleeding in the first trimester, discuss your activities with your practitioner. Although bed rest is recommended in some situations, some doctors also recommend what is euphemistically called "pelvic rest." When there is bleeding, germs can get up into the uterus more easily. Therefore, it is best to put nothing into your vagina until the bleeding has stopped: no douching, no tampons, and no intercourse. You will be able to resume sexual relations when your bleeding has resolved. However you should discuss activity recommendations with your physician.
I hope that was of some help.
Regards,
Carolyn