Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: ovarian cyst

 babyblues1809 - Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:35 pm

Is it possible that when one cyst burst then you start having pain on the other? How high should your temp get before you get worried from having one burst?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:53 am

User avatar Hi babyblues1809,
It may be possible that you could have ovarian cysts on both ovaries that rupture and cause significant pain. However, if you are having a fever you should contact your doctor to rule out an abcess/infection.
 gerit65 - Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:05 pm

I am a 40 year old female. I have been having right ovarian pain for approx. 5 months. I had an ultrasound earlier this week, which showed a small cyst on my left ovary and my right ovary was normal. However, it showed that I had fluid in my culdesac. My ob doc ordered a CA-125 and a repeat ultrasound in 3 weeks. My pain had been 3 out of 4 weeks of my cycle and is mostly gone now. I do still have "twinges" of pain in my right ovary but so much less. My question is how worried should i be? She did mention ovarian cancer but she said she did not believe I have it but instead she is just being cautious. But I am still worried. I have no known family hx, I have had 3 children and have been on bcp on and off for 15 years. ( I am not on bcp now, I had a tubal 8 years ago.) Can it be normal to still be having some pain even if I had a cyst that already burst? And could this fluid be from a ruptured cyst?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:27 pm

User avatar Hi gerit65,
It's good to know that your physician is being cautious. Generally speaking a statement on a report "small amount of fluid in the cul de sac" usually represents a ruptured cyst. Had the report stated free fluid in the pelvis, fluid with debris, etc. this would have been much more concerning. The repeat ultrasound should determine if the current cyst is still present. If the fluid was related to previous cyst, it should be absorbed by that time. I hope this was somewhat helpful and I would appreciate an update if your time permits doing so.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us