Question: ovarian cyst

babyblues1809 - Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:35 pm

Is it possible that when one cyst burst then you start having pain on the other? How high should your temp get before you get worried from having one burst?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:53 am

User avatar Hi babyblues1809,
It may be possible that you could have ovarian cysts on both ovaries that rupture and cause significant pain. However, if you are having a fever you should contact your doctor to rule out an abcess/infection.
 gerit65 - Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:05 pm

I am a 40 year old female. I have been having right ovarian pain for approx. 5 months. I had an ultrasound earlier this week, which showed a small cyst on my left ovary and my right ovary was normal. However, it showed that I had fluid in my culdesac. My ob doc ordered a CA-125 and a repeat ultrasound in 3 weeks. My pain had been 3 out of 4 weeks of my cycle and is mostly gone now. I do still have "twinges" of pain in my right ovary but so much less. My question is how worried should i be? She did mention ovarian cancer but she said she did not believe I have it but instead she is just being cautious. But I am still worried. I have no known family hx, I have had 3 children and have been on bcp on and off for 15 years. ( I am not on bcp now, I had a tubal 8 years ago.) Can it be normal to still be having some pain even if I had a cyst that already burst? And could this fluid be from a ruptured cyst?
Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:27 pm

User avatar Hi gerit65,
It's good to know that your physician is being cautious. Generally speaking a statement on a report "small amount of fluid in the cul de sac" usually represents a ruptured cyst. Had the report stated free fluid in the pelvis, fluid with debris, etc. this would have been much more concerning. The repeat ultrasound should determine if the current cyst is still present. If the fluid was related to previous cyst, it should be absorbed by that time. I hope this was somewhat helpful and I would appreciate an update if your time permits doing so.