Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: missed a pill, late period. Should i be worried?

scampsen - Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:54 pm

I started BC in april and have had some irregularities with my period since then, but nothing i am told that is not unusual. Last tuesday i missed my first pill and had sex the next morning(unprotected). I soon realized i had forgotten my pill and took it that morning. (i usually take them at 10:30 in the evening, i was appx. 12 hours late) I have taken all subsequent pills at the normal time including wednesday night. This week i should have started spotting monday or tuesday and am still showing no signs of a period. I have recently married, moved across the country and am looking for a job, is the stress getting to me, or should i consider a pregancy test?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:22 pm

User avatar Hello,
Chances of pregnancy resulting from one late pill are quite slim but there is about a 1% failure rate so of course it is possible. There are other reasons for a delayed period besides pregnancy, such as stress. You could take a pregnancy test if you want to be sure. These are effective a couple of days after the missed period.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us