Question: delayed period

tina55 - Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:41 pm

im 19 yrs old and a month ago i moved to italy for studies. i was diagnosed with policytic ovaries a year ago and i was on the pill since last september. the last time i had sex with my boyfriend i was not on the pill anymore and he used a condom. during the action a had severe bleeding and lost my senses. The bleeding stopped the same night and i didn't have any more of pain. a week later i had to leave for italy so i didn'tmanage to visit mydoctor. i shuld have a period around the 8th of october but i didn't. i got a pregnancy test and it was negative but im still very worried. i don'tknow what's wrong with me and i can't communicate with my doctorbcs if i tell my parents they would get very worried.please help me
thanks
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:36 pm

User avatar Hello:
Usually women with polycystic ovaries (PCO) have difficulty becoming pregnant and often have missed periods for months at a time. The classic symptoms are absence of menstrual bleeding for long periods (months). This is followed by abnormal and prolonged bleeding. This period of bleeding is than again followed by long periods (months) of absence of any bleeding. It also causes periods of abdominal (tummy) pain due to the presence of ovarian cysts.

This condition warrants expert medical care , preferably by a gynecologist.
It is also important that your sugar metabolism and blood cholesterol should be checked. It is associated with a disturbance in the way the body handles sugar due to changes in insulin secretion. ( Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas and it's function is to regulate the blood sugar levels). There is a high incidence of insulin resistance in patients with PCO. Higher levels of insulin are needed to control the blood sugar levels. ( because of the resistance the insulin is not working properly and more are required). In the long run it can lead to the development of diabetes.

I am concerned about what you called "losing your senses". If by that you mean that you felt faint that in itself could be a sign of low blood sugar. I really do recommend seeing a physician about this. It is important that your condition be watched.
Regards,
Carolyn