Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: PMS or Pregnancy?

SallyJ - Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:57 pm

I am 16 years old, and I've been bloated and I've experienced acid reflex lately. I also had cramps a day or two ago. I know these are simply signs of PMS, but I do not normally get PMS symptoms; however, I do get them every now and then.
The trouble is, I had sex a few times at the beginning of the month. Condoms and the withdrawl method were both used, but said symptoms make me uneasy. I'm due for my period in 2 or 3 days, and I was just wondering if I could relieve any stress by finding out what my chances of being pregnant are.
Thank you.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:22 pm

User avatar Hello:
Being bloated and having acid reflux are not symptoms of pregnancy. If your period is due in a few days, I recommend waiting to see if you miss a period and if so then use one of the many pregnancy tests available at most pharmacies or other stores.
Best regards,
Carolyn
 xxkool_aidexx - Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:13 pm

Dear Sally-
Hey hun.... I am not a nurse or anything.. however, I experience SEVERE heart burn DAILY due to pregnancy.... ( I am due on the 17th of this month YAY)
Anyway- I was going to suggest that if your heart burn continues, try taking "SMOOTH DESOLVE TUMS".... I have found that they work best for me...

Also, the way my OB doctor described to me the reasoning behind the acid relfex is that when a baby is developing, he/she is taking up ALOT of room. (obviousely)... and that you will experience heart burn as a result of the baby pushing upward on your stomach, making it hard for your tummy to do anything more than spasum. that, in turn will cause your acid reflex... (or so I am told within pregnancy)

Anyway- I think that those smooth desolve tums are excellent. they work fast, and they are soothing to your stomach right away... pregnant or not :)

GOOD LUCK with everything!

-jessa

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us