Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: How do I treat polycystic overies?

 michelle0443 - Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:48 am

:cry: I am michelle, aged 23. I went to the doctor and have been told that my hormone levels are too high, he said that it looks like i have polycystic overies. I have depression on top. Is there a treatment for this? I do have alot of bodily hair and is very thick, I am sick of waxing and shaving and wondering if there was a drug that reduces it, maybe a female hormone of some sort.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:25 am

User avatar Hi michelle,
Yes there are effective medications for PCOS. Birth control pills (which contain female hormones) are used to regulate your menstrual cycles. They can also help with the excess body hair. There are other options specifically for treating excess hair growth. Have a look at our PCOS page for more details on this disease and its therapeutic options.

Best regards,
 leona - Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:34 am

i was told by my local GP that i had polycyestic ovaries as i was not getting my periods regulary,it was once every year and was put on the pill to regulate me, it has worked since i have been on it (my fourth perscription of them) i have gotten my period regulary, i also went to see a gynacologist and was told the same, but the problem i am having is that i have been getting pains in my sides and around my private part which is a shock like pain which enables me to move while i get them which lasts about 2 seconds each time, the gynacologist told me it was related to period pains but was not getting it at the time, and it comes at any time, at first i was not sexually active when i was at my GP, now i am but i don't think it has anything to do with it. as i have been getting these pains long before i was prescribed with this condition, i would just like to know if there is anything i could do to help me reduce this problem.
 gottabeat7 - Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:54 pm

I have been told from my doctor last month that I have PCOS and he said that I have too much estergen in my system and is there a surgery to correct this problem? I have been overweight all my life and my periods are regular. Please Help Me.

PLease let me knnow.

Thank You

 Paul23 - Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Hi can anyone help, started seeing a girl for a about month ago and things have went well, a few weeks ago she said she was going to have test and the doc or nurse, cant remember said she maybe have PCOS. Yesterday she went to the docs to check. When I emailed how she was, she said she got bad news and wasnt wanting to talk about it. Now I was going to phone and ask her about it but thought maybe better leaving it.

Now what i've read it doesnt sound to serious a problem but I maybe I'm wrong or maybe she feels weird about talking about it to me. Could there be something worses, that would have the docs think its PCOS at first??

What yous guy think? Would really like it if yous can help.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us