Question: Any other conditions that cause pregnancy symptoms?

ames82 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:05 pm

I had my period on September 23, It was light and lasted 7 days instead of my typical 3 or 4 days of heavy bleeding, it also had a lot of clots in it, which I've never seen. Within the last two weeks or so I've been having a lot of the classic pregnancy s/s: irritability, fatigue, weakness, back spasms, peeing more, heartburn, and occasional nausea and dizziness. My breasts are tender and really swollen, I have no sex drive and I feel kind of out of it. Also I noticed today that my ab muscles felt kind of tight and sore even though I haven't done any activity out of the norm. My boyfriend and I only had sex a couple of times over the past month, including (not purposely) the day I should have ovulated, we only use withdrawal for protection and he SWEARS that there's no way he got me pregnant because he "knows his body." First Response says there's no bun in the oven, I can't really say for certain that I "feel" pregnant because I never have been before. I haven't missed my period yet but I have some white discharge that I usually get right before it drops, but I just read that the white discharge can be a symptom of pregnancy as well! Ultimately, I'm wondering if anything else could be causing these symptoms and if you can put my mind at rest!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:35 pm

There are many other conditions that can mimic pregnancy signs and I couldn't begin to tell you all of them. Hormones can be the main culprit as all women have fluctuations in this area. Even an abnormal seeming period can be quite normal. Menstruation consists of tissue; not just blood and so clots and fibers, even mucus can be normal.

I cannot reassure you that you are not pregnant however. Only a repeat test will give you that peace of mind. As long as you have symptoms you can repeat the test weekly until you are satisfied you are not pregnant and they continue negative.

Meanwhile, talk to your boyfriend about a reliable method of birth control you can both live with since you don't want to go through this kind of stress regularly - that alone can mess up your hormones.