Question: progestin only birth control pill

monica - Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:34 am

I wanted to know if Norethindrone birth control tablets will cause a yeast infection, or if you have a history of yeast infections as I do, will those pills stop your progress of getting the candida albicans cleared up?

If they are not a good idea to be on them, then what else can I do to stop my hormones from being all messed up?

If I go off the pill, then my soreness in my breasts will come back, which can hurt very much...feels like someone punched you really hard several times in the same spot. Also I've been diagnosed with a small cyst on both my overies, and i've been on the bc pill for 3mths, and they seem to feel better.....but I can't get rid of my candida problem because I believe it is an overgrowth of the bad bacteria in my intestines. I'm presently taking Diflucan 150mg 2x a day for 15 days and cutting out sugar from my diet.......but I think the yeast comes around or gets stronger right at the time of my period...I haven't had alot of anti-biotics, I usually noticethe symptoms right before I menstruate, and nothing over the counter will work anymore. It turned into a pelvic infection twice (bacterial infection) was given normal meds to clear it up , but the 2nd time around, became allergic to the med,so was given vaginal suppositories, that didn't seem to get rid of it, then was given one Diflucan, which only cut the glue like discharge to about half it's thickness. So I just started taking acidopholous which has helped greatly, but has held it at bay

I need help with this whole situation (candida problem and bc question)

I just want to get better. I have my doubts about the 150mg of diflucan I;m taking now...there's still itching and some discharge(white creamy looking) I wonder if i still have a bacterial infection, and maybe the diflucan won't be the right one to be using at this point.

Please help!!!!
 AtlantaCCN - Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:31 am

First thing to know is that exogenous hormones don't regulate your system, they impose themselves on your system, distorting it. progestin is not necessarily progesterone. Progesterone functions by promoting differentiation, specialization of tissue/cells. This is in contrast to (estrogen) which promotes cell proliferation. Since synthetic progestins don't actually do the job of progesterones, to bring them into your system conduces to estrogen dominance. Estrogen dominance is exacerbated by exposure to numerous xenoestrogens in the environment, such as plastics, pesticides, paints, hormones fed to food animals. The breast tenderness you mention is a characteristic of estrogen excess. It often occurs because the liver is not able to break down and eliminate estrogens fast enough. Another factor is that the wrong microbes in the gut disconnect conjugated estrogens that should be on their way out in the stool, and promote its reabsorption, adding to the estrogen overload.

Yes, having taken oral contraceptives is a contributing factor toward yeast infection. Eating the Standard American Diet SAD high in refined carbs, and living the highly stressful American lifestyle are additional factors. The stress diverts progesterone toward cortisol to deal with stress, rather than leaving it to function properly in the monthly cycle, also leaving room for those exogenous estrogens to overload the system.

I recommend Donna Gate's Book The Body Ecology Diet, toward reducing the yeast in your gut. Microbes stay in any system that feeds them; it's the "Iowa principle" build it and they will come. If you can shift your food toward 80% alkalizing veggies and 20% acid forming foods (mostly meat, fish, poultry, eggs, rice - even brown rice), it will be a big step toward setting up an environment that encourages the beneficial microbes and discourages the yeast. Lots of fiber, veggies, veggies, veggies.

Cut out caffeine, which hits the adrenal glands, and it will be a step toward reducing breast soreness. The other step is to take N-acetyl cysteine and supportive nutrients to help your liver clean the debris out of your system. and of course, use something other than the pill. The pill is the equivalent of tossing a handful of nuts and bolts into a finely tuned engine, on the spurious premise that "engines need nuts and bolts". Progestins -- synthetic hormones, are to natural hormones about as much as engine oil is to food oils.

Give a look at Sex Lies and Menopause (author? my copy is lent out), but be wary of progesterone supplements directly,especially creams. Chaste tree, and nutrient support such as that specified by the tests done by DiagnosTechs in Washington state, do a far better job in giving your body, a living system, the tools it needs to generate the substances it needs in a rhythm compatible with life.

you're doing right by cutting out sugar; you might even want to assuage a sweet tooth with xylitol, certainly NOT with any of the artificial sweeteners, which put another load on the liver. Xylitol is a 5 carbon sugar, supports different flora/microbes from those dependent on 6 carbon sugars (sucrose( 2 x 6) and its components: fructose, glucose).

Hope this helps, Karen Lyke MS CCN[/i]
 monica - Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:35 am

Thankyou for your reply. I still have a couple of questions though.

If I stop the progestin birth control pill( since I really rather not be on it anyway) what can I do about my irregular periods and the soreness in my breasts. It was more painful before I was taking the pill, and I don't want to go back to that pain,since the pill made it a little better.

If the soreness is only due to my liver not getting rid of what it needs to,so the estrogen builds up....then is there something wrong with my liver? I was thinking that my hormones were to blame, that there was an imbalance being caused somehow, because my periods are coming late, and then of course the soreness is there around that time of the month.......I'm also on the bc pill to help with my cysts (small ones ) that they found on both my ovaries. If I go off the pill, what will help me with that?...or will that matter at all where my cysts are concerned?

You see, what I"m trying to figure out is...can I get off the progestin only pill to help me get rid of the yeast problem quicker....but by doing that, what about the other problems I have that the pill was supposed to be treating? If my hormones go all "out of whack" because I;m unable to control them with the pill so I can get rid of the yeast problem, then I'm afraid that I' going to be suffering again and not be able to move my arms well because it gets so sore.....not to mention that I fear that the yeast will come back or never even go away at all regardless of the diflucan or diet, just because I think that the reason why I have this yeast problem is because of my hormones. Is that possible...hormones causing you to get yeast infections?.....because that's usually when they pop up!

Lastly, you mentioned N-acetyl cysteine and supportive nutrients...where do I find this and what are the supporting nutrients, and what is chaste tree?
Through another members question, I found a web site about the cure for candida (or shall I say something that kills candida). It is called ThreeLac, and they have other supportive items to take with it. Have you heard of this?
Otherwise, do you know how I can find a candida specialist in my area?

I know there's alot of questions, but if you could answer them, I would be greatful.
 AtlantaCCN - Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:25 pm

The Doctors Lounge Message Forums
"The information provided on doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."
progestin only birth control pill

The Doctors Lounge Forum Index -> General Medical Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic

Author Message
monica

Age: 34
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 Feb 2004

Location: wisconsin

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:34 am Post subject: progestin only birth control pill

Please help!!!!

Back to top

AtlantaCCN

Age: 61
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 Nov 2004

Location: Atlanta Georgia USA

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:31 pm Post subject: progestin/ Monica

Hope this helps, Karen Lyke MS CCN[/i]
_________________
Karen Lyke MS CCN
Diplomate in Advanced Nutritional Laboratory Assessment

Back to top

monica

Age: 34
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 Feb 2004

Location: wisconsin

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:35 am Post subject:

Monica's entry above:

Reply from Atlanta CCN: What exactly are the ingredients of the pill? What's synthetic, what's naturally derived, what forms? This should be on the package insert. Remember, progestin is a catch all term that includes synthetics that do NOT function like progesterone, the real thing.

To alleviate breast soreness, increase your veggies tremendously, your liver isn't necessarily in trouble, more likely just overloaded and having a hard time keeping up with the demands on it.

This is more complex than I can deal with comfortably by email, especially in anticipation of holiday visits. Unfortunately too, it requires more than a magic bullet "take a couple of specific pills" approach. I strongly recommend you contact Janet Lang DC http://www.drjrlang.com or 636-386-3333 to ask for a recommendation in your area. Dr. Lang is brilliant, studies female hormones thoroughly, and specializes in them, (gives seminars which many practitioners, mostly chiropractors and naturopaths and enlightened MDs seriously interested in getting the body back to its own balance, attend), may be able to link you with similar colleagues in Wisconsin. You might also contact DiagnosTechs 800 878 3787 also to ask for practitioners in your area, or Standard Process (in Wisc) 888-728-3990 (which "makes" excellent herbal products including chaste tree and provides them through practitioners) also for a recommendation in your area.

The key thing is to keep the junk out of your system, by following recommendations in Body Ecology Diet. ThreeLac is probably three forms of lactobacillus, a very beneficial microbe for the gut and one/some which will displace the candida. however, it'll last only if you feed the good microbes (veggies!!), and shift your body chemistry via attention to adrenal balance (back to finding local practitioner ). If that fails, try me again through this route. There are also some homeopathic remedies, so National Center for Homeopathy NCH http://www.homeopathic.org or 703 548-7790 is an additional resource, again for a practitioner in your area. I really see your case as one needing specific guidance, not just "one size fits all" medicine.

NAC is available from Designs for Health 800 847-8302 (tell 'em Karen Lyke CCN sent you), or from serious health food stores. It boosts the liver's supply of detox tools. Silymarin in another herbal extract for the same purpose. You might find that using silymarin nightly , plus 1-2x during the day, along with eating really clean, helps the breast tenderness and cyst problem, as a good place to start. Again, go to a serious health food store. Cheaper isn't necessarily better; good herbs take care and time to prepare.

Legally I can't recommend you quit any medication; let me know exactly what's in the pills you're using and we'll try to figure out what effect that's having on your body -- and consider implications of reducing or changing dosage. I would hope that your prescribing MD would be able to explain that to you too.

I hope this helps for the moment. Karen
 monica - Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:23 pm

Thanks again for your reply.

Each pink tablet provides a continuous oral contraceptive regimen of 0.35 mg norethindrone daily with inactive ingredients of corn starch,FD&C red no. 40 aluminum lake, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, and sodium starch glycolate. (28 pills, and all are active)

This is all I could find on the ingredients of the bc pill.

Is the lactose monohydrate a sugar? Does it look like this pill might be contributing to my candida problem? If it is contributing to the yeast problem, are there other progestin ones that won't?

From your experiences, people that have taken NAC or that other one you mentioned, are they helped with their menstral cycles and hormone problems by taking these?.....I read up alittle on NAC, and it said that it can crystalize in your kidneys (I believe...I"m going on my memory here) and that a person taking it should take three times more vitamin c to stop that. How much is three times more? I take 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg at night right now.

I think I've found a chiropractor that does that saliva test for detecting hormones in my area.They say it's better than a blood test...more accurate, and then I think they treat you with specific hormones or whatever it is they do, it's personalized for your exact need.

Thank you again for your time and answering these last few questions. I'll go on the web site that I found three-lac on, and I'll e-mail you what that's all composed of, so you can see how it's supposed to work, and then I'll probably ask your opinion on that.

Thanks again, and have a nice holiday :D Monica
 AtlantaCCN - Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:45 pm

Hi Monica, The NAC (B-acetyl cysteine) is a precursor to glutathione, aka GSH, which the liver especially uses as an antioxidant and to conjugate (latch on to) substances it needs to eliminate. A reason to use it in your case would be to give your liver a boost in eliminating the excess estrogens, a major culprit when it comes to breast tenderness. Calcium D glucarate would also be useful, along with LOTS of veggies to mop up wastes from your intestines and encourage the good microbes.

Overall I suspect your yeast overgrowth problem is the result of excess estrogens, plus an acidic system, probably from dietary imbalance, usually too much refined carbs as well as animal proteins in proportion to the amount of veggies consumed. Stress makes acidity worse, as does being low in oxygen, hence the universal recommendation to "breathe".

The DC you've found will probably ask you to do a Standard Process Cleanse procedure, ie 3 weeks of high veggie diet plus a shake designed to provide excellent rebuilding nourishment, plus some supplements to boost your liver, add fiber, and antioxidants. Additiional measures would probably include Chaste tree to help your system generate more progesterone on its own, plus Symplex F for female hormone balance, maybe Cats claw complex to further help eradicate yeast from the gut. He/she may also determine that you need specific supplements for possibly B vitamins, minerals. other items. Candida is a b... to get rid of, so stick with the instructions.

If you need a sweet over the holidays, try xylitol. It's a bit pricey, but supports good microbes and definitely discourages the yeast. A little goes a long way. If you "stray", drink lots of seaweed broth and eat lots of sea vegetables to help get back on track. Seaweed is a good idea any time; it's loaded with beneficial minerals, all of which help put the body's pH back to slightly alkaline, 7.4.

Lactose monohydrate is a sugar. Good for you to recognize the suffix --ose -- as a sugar. It is a disaccharide, composed of glucose and galactose. It usually doesn't boost yeast, although if you have lactose intolerance, not uncommon, (difficulties with milk products), it might possibly irritate your gut, thus inviting the wrong microbes. Overall, it's not a lot to get upset about. I'm more concerned about the dye, the aluminum, the corn starch (great yeast food, also high on the list of food intolerance culprits). Interestingly enough, povidone is an antibiotic specific against yeast. I wonder if the manufacturer knew that yeast infection was a likely side effect, so put this AB into the product just in case. Whooooooaa. Norethindrone is the progestin, which, again. is a synthetic, not what your body would make if it were functioning properly.

AT this point, I'm not sure you really need the saliva test right away. If you were directly my client, I'd work off the Standard Process symptom survey plus your statements and my observations, give the above procedures a month and see what happens. If there's no positive (beneficial, that is, not "positive" in the medical sense which often means yes there is bad news) change, then the saliva test would give more specific info. Keep me posted. When you succeed in this quest, just make sure you "pay if forward" to another person. Karen
 monica - Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:07 pm

Thank you again for your reply

Now , what should I do next? Go see this chiropractor and let him decide about all those treatments that you mentioned with the NAC, Chast tree, Symplex F, Silymarin, etc?

Also....if you had a patient that had similar problems such as mine, and was taking Northindrone bc pills, would you suggest that they stop them and seek out this alternative method with the natural products, or would you say that the pills are safe to keep taking because they don't promote yeast as you stated, and since they have the povidone in them that is an antibiotic specifically to the yeast. If your patient stayed on them, would the candida problem go away as long as they were doing everything they could to rid their body of the yeast?....or would the bc pills cause the yeast that is in the vagina to stay and not be able to go away?

Here is the ingredients to the three-lac:

Spore Forming Lactic acid Bacteria(Lactobacillus Sporogenes), Spore Forming Bacteria (Bacillus Subtillus), And Lactic Acid Bacteria(Group D non toxic Streptococcus Faecalis)
all in a propriety microencapsulation which gets them into your intestines alive and unharmed.

Other ingredients include lemon juice powder for flavoring, refined yeast powder(small amount which feeds the three-lac while in shipping and will not affect yeast sensitive individuals) and castor oil.

Three-lac also helps balance the body's ph

They also suggest taking Oxygen Elemants Plus, which will create a rich oxygen environment that three-lac thrives on(not to mention that candida albicans hate). The web site says that three-lac has fully tested approval of the FDA.

If you want to do a little reading yourself, just punch up three-lac and browse the internet. I emailed a person who is presently on it, and she highly reccomends it because it has worked for her.

What do you think of three-lac?

I was thinking of doing this and staying on the bc pills for now, because I don't know if my insurance will cover the chiropractor for hormone related issues and tests should I need further help. Then when I get more money together, then maybe I can go that route, but that's why I need to know if I can get rid of my yeast problem by doing the three-lac, but still staying on the bc pills. I'm hoping that in this vain you will be able to give me your best educated opinion.

Thanks again. Your help has been very valuable.
Monica
 AtlantaCCN - Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:32 pm

Three Lac sounds like a decent product. That and continuing to eat clean should take you a good way. You might even find that your hormones adjust themselves by eating clean. I reckon that the cost of natural remedies for long enough to support your body's efforts to rebalance itself might come out to less in the long run than a longer term dependence on synthetic substances that merely cover up an imbalance. legally I'm not able to recommend that anyone stop taking any medication. Maybe the day will come when the tables are turned the other way..... Call or drop into the DC's office and check him out: ask roughly what things might cost, talk to other patients, ask his office staff -- even just finding out how open they are to questions and how humanely they treat patients can tell a lot. You could also do some "research" by checking out a few health food stores and seeing what products several places tend to converge on. When I'm stuck I ask myself what info I need yet; it's a variation of "if only I knew ...., then I'd ......." Asking is free, and you get to learn something with it too. if nothing else, eating clean goes a LOOOONNG way. Karen
 monica - Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:38 pm

I am actually looking to speak with Karen Lyke ccn, if she's available. I haven't visited this site for awhile, and I see that I can't get a personal message to her, but she was helping me with this bith control issue before. If she is not able to respond, or is no longer on this site, then hopefully someone else will be able to help me.

I am 36 yrs. old and female. I am taking Camilla(Norethindrone), a progestin only bc pill. I am taking it to control breast tenderness and mainly to stop the pain from the ovarian cysts. This method has worked for me, but I have some side effects from the pill like, no sex drive at all, hair thinning, and now I think I may have a new side effect, but don't see it listed anywhere. My upper back and lower back continuously get stiff and sore. My doctors said to try calcium lactate....I take 6 a day, but my back stiil gets stiff and sore. It only does it when I need to stand for more than 10 minutes or so in one spot(when I'm constantly moving, it's o.k....my lower back that is.), and my upper back gets sore any time I need to hold a position...like cutting fruit for my job, or sitting up against the arm of the couch, or any position that is not completely relaxed...like when I'm sleeping...it gets better. My doctor says to hold better posture, which just makes it worse.

You see, the achy back came on all of a sudden, so I'm wondering if it is the camilla. I know most doctors will say that it is not the pill, but I can't help but notice that the mini pill is usually prescibed to people who are a little weary about the depo shot, and if they can handle that, then depo should be fine for them. What makes me concerned, is that I knew two people who had bad reactions to the depo shot, and one person had terrible back pain, and when she got off the depo...symptoms disappeared...even thogh their doctors refused to believe depo would do that to them.

Is it possible that my bc pill is the cause of my back pain?

I'd like to get off of it any way, but am afraid of the pain I'll get in return for the symptoms that I am on the pill for.

Has anyone heard of DIM?....it helps maintain good estrogen in the body. Does anyone know if it can be taken with a low dose estrogen b.c. pill?. I tried it with my progestin only pill, and it makes my varicose veins ache....I think by regulating my estrogen because I believe it is too dominant, I could get off the pill. Iknow I can also try some other natural products that Karen has suggested to me, which may be my only answer now, especially if the pill is the cause for my back pain.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
 AtlantaCCN - Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:34 pm

Hi Monica, what you're describing sounds like muscles in contraction, very much in need of Magnesium to help them to relax. The Calcium lactate would indeed make the problem worse, since Ca stimulates contraction; Magnesium is crucial to provide the ATP (a unit of energy) to allow relaxation. Designs for Health (DFH 800 847 8302) can provide a well assimilated form of magnesium such as Mg glycinate or Mg malate chelate. OK to specify me as your practitioner if DFH requests. Let go of the Ca lactate for a while too.

Mg citrate is also OK, probably readily available at your local health food store. Don't bother with Magnesium Oxide; it's biological availability is very low. The general recommendation with magnesium supplements is to take ~100 mg every hour or two until you have a tremendous bowel movement, your body's way of saying you're saturated and even the smooth muscle in your GI tract has enough.

DFH also has an herbal product called Myosedate, herbs to help muscles relax. Since the uterus is made of three thick layers of muscle, Myosedate and Mg might even do double duty with respect to cramps. Muscles are always happier, more cooperative in supporting your posture, when adequately supplied with magnesium.

It also sounds like your steroid hormones in general are probably way out of balance. Cholesterol is the basic building block for progesterone (again NOT the same as progestin, a catch-all term that includes synthetic forms that are not part of the body's natural toolkit), estrogens, cortisol, DHEA, even testosterone. All of these are necessary in balanced amounts; the Camilla quite likely has distorted that natural balance, altho it sounds like it was somewhat upset before you started taking it. The lack of sex drive is consistent with such an imblance. It's nature's way of discouraging reproduction when the mother's system is so burdened that it's less likely to be able to provide support/care for another being. The imbalance steroid hormones in turn affect the thyroid gland, and thinning hair is a classic indicator of thyroid imbalance, whether or not blood tests show "normal" thyroid function.

Breast tenderness and ovarian cysts are both indicative of estrogen dominance. A more natural way to deal with estrogen dominance is to support the liver in breaking down and eliminating excess estrogens. DIM has been used for that purpose; there's more to the story, but it's too late tonight for more.

Over to you, I'll pay attentionfor your response. I'm OK with direct contact; you might want to see what Anywho.com could show. Karen Lyke MS CCN AtlantaCCN
 monica - Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:02 pm

Karen, Thank you so much for your reply...glad to see you're still on here.

Unfortunately, I only have Mag. oxide in my cubboard which was what I've been taking. I'll have to wait till Monday to check out the health food store, because they're closed on Sundays.

Now, when I do get the right magnesium...and I take it every hour untill the bm part, what is the dosage after that?

I've been on that darn bc pill for 2yrs. now...do you think that the pill drained my magnesium after all this time? I hope this will work...I'm tired of my back feeling that way.

I skipped a dose of the bc pill...actually I was going to stop it the night I emailed you, but just missing that dose made my right breast tissue by my armpit sore....which means I'm in for some pain. I would actually like to see a naturalpathic doctor in the green bay area that can oversee me and help me get the supplements right....or are they called homeopathic doctors?...two different things?!? This way I can take things safely and in the right dosages...I'm afraid to just try chaste tree and dim and milk thistle just by following the directions on the bottle( I have all three products), because maybe it won't be effective, or I'll need some other kind of support besides those supplements. I guess I'll look in the phone book for someone, but I really wish that somebody knew " the right doctor" to see...you know, someone who really cares and is knowledgeable and highly reccomended. I just don't want to go off the "poison" and be left not knowing what to do next or how long before my body will start reacting positively to the new "healthy" stuff I'm putting into my body.

Can you tell me how long the bc pill lasts in your body after you stop taking it? Don't want to mix natural with prescription...I hear that's a rule of thumb. Do you think that's what happened when i tried the dim with the pill...it reacted negatively?

I'd like to hear more about the dim when you have time. I know there's only so much you can type...but you seem to know all the things I'm looking for. Too bad your'e in GA and not WI. I hear Doraville is a nice place...never been to GA though.

I'll be looking forward to your reply. Thanks so much for caring!
Monica
 monica - Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi Karen,

I see your probably busy, or have not noticed my last reply.

I was hoping you'd get back to me on some of my questions, because even though I did the magnesium malate, I am stiil getting stiff and achy when I use those back muscles. I was thinking of maybe trying the mysodate....maybe it is just my forward head posture problem and the fact that I have to keep my head angled down all day. Maybe I stressed those nerves and muscles, and they don't have a chance to heal. It just bothers me even more that they hurt when I'm just sitting and leaning on the arm of the couch or doing something at home...is there anything else to help me to get this resolved for good, or will I be stuck with this problem because of my posture?

Do you think the bc pill could have possibly had anything to do with my back issue?

I am now off of the pill. I am doing a liver detox and taking the dim so far. What else do you think I should take to help my hormones get balanced so the cysts and breast tenderness won't become a problem.

One thing I am not too happy about so far is that my candida seems to want to flare up...seems a little itchier than usual, and a slight more of a discharge...probably because of my natural estrogen taking over again? I am watching my diet to eat organic and more veggies. I am taking acidopholous and flora smart by renew life....but it seems that now I'm off the pill, it's not enough support...any suggestions?

Also, Iwas thinking that if my muscle issues in my back are really because of a thyroid problem (my sister has thyroid problems) that maybe there is something to take that could boost my thyroid function safely to see if my muscles get better then. My test for thyroid were in the normal range, but I have a sneaky feeling that I have a problem that is just taking years to manifest itself, because I had some symptoms before I went on the bc pill.

Well, I have to go for now...hope to hear from you soon.
Monica