Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Spotting During Pregnancy

J_Doe_145 - Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:47 pm

I am 24 and found out I am pregnant with my first child. My husband and I have not had any success concieving for 2 years and now I should be about 6 weeks pregnant. My LMP was Oct. 19. Yesterday I began spotting. At first it was redish brown and now just brown. I have had some cramping but not as severe as my normal period. My breast were sore for the last few weeks and now they seem to be less sore. My husband says they are still swollen. Also I was lactating at the beginning of nov. and prolactin and pregnancy was negative and theat was on nov. 8. Positive pregnancy test on nov. 22 via blood. Urine was positive from the 17th. No other pain to speak of and my lower abdomin feels normal I cannot palpate anything. Oh one more thing this spotting started almost exactly 24 hrs after intercourse.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:59 am

User avatar Hi J_Doe_145,
Generally speaking a brown discharge is a sign of "old blood" You could have possibly had some irritation of the vagina or cervix that may cause that. I would however suggest that you contact your doctor since you are in the early stages of pregnancy to alleviate any concerns.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 J_Doe_145 - Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:59 pm

I thankyou for your help and I also noticed it said you are from north central WV I just moved from a town near clarksburg, WV.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:37 pm

User avatar Hi J_Doe_145,
You are very welcome. During the last post, I meant to congratulate you on your pregnancy and I wish you well :)
Sincerely,
Theresa (Rntdj)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us