Question: Pregnancy and Birth control

lilphilly - Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:12 pm

I was wondering what the chances are of getting pregnant while on birthcontrol? I've been on birth control for over a year now and haven't missed a day. I'm about 5 days late getting my period but no pregnancy symptoms. I have cramps but no period!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:12 pm

I assume you mean the birth control pill, or oral contraceptive. With perfect use, it is estimated that your risk of pregnancy is less than 1% but there is no method that is 100% reliable except abstinence so it is possible, though unlikely. You can take a home pregnancy test to be sure. Use of the pill does not affect the results of the test. Missed periods without pregnancy are not uncommon.