Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Profuse Sweating four months after giving birth

 myrock777 - Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Four months after giving birth to my fourth child, I began sweating profusely all over my body. Palms and feet not really affected. I can feel the eminating from my scalp as well as my back. After I sweat (drip sweat), I go through these terrible chills where I even tremble. My hands shake because I'm freezing. My fingers get "ice" cold as well.
I've seen a number of doctors from general practitioner to ob-gyn to endocrinologist to acupuncturist. All have just pushed me away because they can't really find anything wrong with me... I am so healthy that I've been literally told they can't help me at all. But something is wrong, there has to be something causing me to sweat a lot. I'm on my 9th month now. I sweat everyday and throughout the day. I've tried paxil - no help, I've tried chinese herbal teas - no help. Right now I'm trying sage tea. I don't mind spending the money to see a doctor, but I need it to be the right doctor that will help me get back to normal..... take these sweats away.
P.S. I've also had an MRI done to my brain - NO abnormalities...everything is perfectly fine.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:48 pm

User avatar Hello,
I too am puzzled since you have already seen specialists about this. The good news is that if there were a serious problem, they likely would have picked up on it so it sounds like something hormonal to me. Women's hormones can do weird things for sure. Have you ever tried birth control pills to see if regulating these hormones helps at all? I assume they have ruled out infections such as TB.

In the meantime I would keep a record of when these events occur and give as much detail as possible regarding your physical environment, food eaten and drunk, use of alcohol or drugs, emotional state, date and time. This may help ultimately in finding the cause. I might try an internal medicine doctor.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us