Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: On the Pill, But Missed Period This Month

mcr19fan - Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:02 am

Hi, I was recently switched to the generic from Yasmin in late September or early October. Everything has been okay with the switch, but I just missed my period that I was supposed to have last week. I haven't had sex since the second week in November and I got my period two weeks later. I remember missing two pills this past month but I followed procedure and took 2 for the two next days and I'm continuing on with my pills currently. I'm really worried that I'm pregnant but I'm not quite sure how that came to be if I already had my normal period. Is it possible that due to stress, since I just had two weeks of finals, I missed it but am not pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:52 pm

User avatar Hello
It is not unusual for your periods to be minimized on this oral contraceptive. I would not worry about it but whenever you are in doubt, take a pregnancy test since there are some cases where, even with consistent use, women get pregnant while on the pill.

Since you did have a period after having sex, it is very unlikely you are pregnant now. Try not to worry. Hormones as well as stress can affect your periods.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us